Senior Web Front-end Engineer
San Jose, California
Want to impact one of the world’s largest mobile marketplaces? eBay is looking for aWeb Front-end Engineer who is passionate about creating experiences consumers love. This is an amazing opportunity to join a world leader in e-commerce and directly impact the lives of a global population of buyers and sellers. Our commerce platform has millions of daily active users and brings in billions of dollars in commerce transactions every year. Join our tightly knit team of rockstars who enjoy working on challenging and interesting problems at massive scale.
We work in small, focused, collaborative project teams following an agile methodology. Cross functional teams including product management, product development, and design work on a daily basis to create a successful product that delights our customers. Working at eBay is a rewarding, challenging and inspiring experience.
The Americas regional development team builds innovative features into the global eBay app for the Americas market. You will work closely with the business and technology teams in the US to develop experiences our customers will love.
As a web front-end engineer on the Americas regional development team, you should have an expert's depth and breadth of experience in web front-end technologies. You should be proficient in teaching and leading by example and mentoring more junior engineers.
You must be very familiar with and an advocate of common Agile practices:
- Designing elegant technical solutions to customer problems
- TDD, clean code, software craftsmanship
- Testing at all levels (unit, integration, and UI)
- Continuous delivery and integration
- Code reviews
- Standard scrum ceremonies (e.g. stand-ups, sprint planning, demos and retrospectives)
- Training / coaching
- Integrate closely w/ colleagues in different functional groups and remote offices
- Evangelize, mentor, and promote engineering best practices throughout the company
- Promote a culture of "internal open source" where teams can contribute to each other's code bases regardless of organizational boundaries
Enjoy being part of a team of motivated, collaborative, high-achievers
Communicate effectively within your team and across teams.
Identify project risks, quantify risk/benefit relationships and provide alternative solutions as well as risk mitigation.
- 6+ years of web front-end engineering experience
- Sound knowledge and understanding of web services, full stack experience preferred
- Expert understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Expert understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus.
- Expert understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Familiarity with accessibility standards
- Expert understanding of code versioning tools, particularly Git
- Familiarity with SEO principles and ensuring that application will adhere to them.
- Familiarity with web testing frameworks
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years