Legal Counsel, PaymentsDraper, Utah
San Jose, California Requisition Number R0036441 Subsidiary eBay
LEGAL COUNSEL, Payments
eBay is where the world goes to shop, sell, and give. Whether you are buying new or used, plain or luxurious, commonplace or rare, trendy or one-of-a-kind – if it exists in the world, it probably is for sale on eBay. Our mission is to be the world’s favorite destination for discovering great value and unique selection. We give sellers the platform, solutions, and support they need to grow their businesses and thrive. We measure our success by our customers' success.
The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about building and innovating with an intense focus on the customer experience. S/he will have been part of building payments functionality. S/he will work in one of the e-commerce world's premier in-house Legal & Government Relations/Public Policy Departments as a key advisor on one of eBay’s most significant strategic moves in the last few years. S/he must work in a practical, pragmatic way on a diverse range of cutting-edge legal issues in the payments space.
This Role’s primary responsibilities include:
Regulatory advising and engagement
- Working with business and functional stakeholders to expand certain payments products in the U.S..
- Working closely with U.S. payments regulatory counsel to ensure that new payments products comply with eBay’s regulatory obligations.
- Reviewing payments product structure, flows and marketing to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Draft disclosures, terms of service and other user-facing language for payments product launches and updates.
- Identifying legal ramifications of expanding eBay’s operating model with respect to payments products.
- Independently coordinating with functional stakeholders, including the Global Payments and Billing organization, Product, Tax, Finance, Privacy, Information Security, Litigation, IP, Corporate, Compliance, Regional Legal Teams and other internal teams as needed.
- Structuring agreements to enable a global payments strategy
- Advising executives and stakeholders on liabilities associated with different deals
- Working with business and functional stakeholders to understand, structure, draft, negotiate and close commercial agreements with external partners
- Working with business and functional stakeholders to develop and execute on a regulatory and licensing strategy with respect to certain payments products in multiple jurisdictions
- Working closely with the payments business unit, product and tech and functional organizations and acting as a real-time legal advisor to understand their needs and help to find creative solutions to achieve business objectives
Candidates must have:
- Law degree and authorized to practice law in the United States
- At least 6+ years of relevant legal experience, with experience at a global company of scale in fintech, the payments organization of a large marketplaces/platform company and/or achieving similar strategic outcomes for a payments organization at scale
- Understanding of legal principles applicable to payments, including the payments ecosystem (e. g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory and licensing strategy and execution (e. g., stored value, money transmission, compliance obligations, privacy and licensing issues) and consumer protection laws
- Experience with the EU framework, including the second Payment Services Directive, GDPR, the fourth Anti-Money Laundering Directive, strong customer authentication and Regulation (EU) 2015/847
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, a fast-paced culture, and a practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Capable of working with minimal supervision
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong judgment and project management skills and someone who is always thinking about better ways of doing things
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: