Research Scientist, Distributed SystemsSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0024427 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Do you have passion for solving problems at scale? At eBay, we deal with petabytes of data that is queried and transformed at a rapid pace - we do 100s of billions of queries per day and update billions of records.
If dealing with data of this size and volume is not very exciting, we would like to mention that we have been building a team that builds a geo-distributed, always available, and high-performance distributed database platform leveraging cloud technologies.
Now, these are very hard problems to solve, as it’s not easy to build a database with all these characteristics and serving Petabytes of data with extremely high throughput.
This is the business and technical problem this team has been solving, and we are looking for super bright engineers and researchers who are passionate about pushing the envelope and not settling for the status quo to join.
A research scientist in the database platform team has knowledge and ideas on how to develop innovative solutions smartly. The database platform is being built by a team that has the culture and the environment technologists find at a startup.
We are looking for outstanding researchers with strong analysis, design and development experience in scalable and geo-distributed solutions.
The ideal candidate will have strong understanding of principles of distributed systems, predictive modeling, relevant programming languages, databases, transaction systems, consensus algorithms, replication, design patterns, storage, network, and cloud resource management.
Exceptional problem solving abilities will be critical for success, as will be a focus on quality. In our environment, quality is everyone’s responsibility, passion is key, innovation and creativity is a must.
The successful candidate will participate in the entire life cycle of a product ranging from modeling, algorithm design, prototype, architecture through testing and production rollout.
- Be part of a team of super-smart engineers and researchers building next-gen database platform using the latest open source technologies
- Design models and algorithms, and implement differentiated production-ready features in a fast-pace environment with focus on scalability, performance, geo distribution, and availability
- Rollout features at the pace of business changes and requirements
- Passion to bring out innovative ideas and try out new solutions, while being open minded to feedback from the team
- Relentless focus on quality and automation
- PhD in Computer Science or equivalent is required.
- Self-directed work style with minimum supervision
- More than 1 year of experience developing/testing/deploying secure production quality software products
- Expert level programming (C++, Java, Python) and scripting skills (Bash) are required with demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
- Prior experience building distributed systems at internet scale
- Proven technical leadership in guiding teams and making architectural decisions
- Ability to collaborate with other senior technical leaders in the team
- Demonstrated experience in leading critical project to production
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required due to dynamic nature of team discussions
- Working experience in a cloud environment (Docker) is required
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: