Sr. Product Manager, TechnicalSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0022482-1 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Technical Product Manager
Primary Job Responsibilities:
The Technical Product & Program Manager charter is to undertake complete ownership of end-to-end delivery of critical technical products, programs and initiatives in eBay.
We are looking for a passionate Technical Program Manager with strong Product Management experience and expertise to manage cross-functional platform engineering products and programs right from inception to delivery.
As a Technical Product and Program Manager, you will:
- Work with business and customer stakeholders to define, prioritize and manage product requirements and the entire product lifecycle management, in addition to leading program execution objectives, dependencies, outcomes and roadmap timelines. Partner with internal and external teams to deliver on time and with the quality required. Able to work with other Product Management and Technical PD Leaders to prioritize and adjust product project schedules appropriately
- Prioritize and define scope to meet target initiative needs in a timely manner given available resources. Negotiates the use of resources, budgets, schedules, scope creep. This includes creating and executing against the project plan, proactively mitigating risks, and managing the development and release life cycles from inception to production launch and post production support.
- Develop, maintain, and distribute standard program/product management deliverables for the successful launch of new products and services, including: implementation plan, project schedule, project budget and variances, dependency mapping, issues & action items log, meeting minutes, risks assessment and contingencies. Able to manage multiple products and interdependencies associated with the program.
- Identify technical product and program impacts on the organization as they relate to business requirements. Define strategies, product feature release plans, regularly participate in executive meetings to present progress, and share information with other professionals.
- Act as the link between technical teams (composed of programmers, engineers or marketing staff) and upper management. Must be prepared both to manage product and program resources, including staff, time-tables, equipment and financing, and to report progress and explain product and program situations to upper management
- Define and ensure adequate measurements and metrics for programs and products are current and supportive of decisions and critical path identification/prompt diagnosis. Confirm technical scope is in alignment with known metrics.
- Serve as the Product Owner and/or Program Delivery Owner in Agile / SCRUM processes across program, initiatives, stakeholders, products, dependencies and portfolios. This role is all about getting features and services pushed live.
- Manage product releases through the launch process and ongoing support engagements with customers and engineering. Make sure programs meets deadlines and is completed within budget.
- Partner with technology architects and infrastructure/network operations to identify areas in need of improvement to increase cycle time throughput, decrease churn rates, customer satisfaction, minimize team fatigue and decrease support/change/bug-fix requests.
- Coordinate multiple teams, products, programs/projects, initiatives as they align to a greater whole. Brings all things together in very large scale implementations that would otherwise be too difficult to implement. Provide the "means" to which the work gets done by governance and policy.
- Understands physical infrastructure requirements (server, network, database) and manages procurement. Able to articulate complex product and technical aspects, attributes, functionalities and dependencies of large scale programs across multiple domains and product areas.
- Spot systemic problems and rally the right team to tackle them. Good conceptual thinker to articulate business opportunities and technical solutions. Drive technical resolutions and cross team product deliverables
- Define strategies, regularly participate in executive meetings to present their progress, and share project information with other professionals in their organization.
- Communicates product technical development schedules and status with other dependent programs and products. Manage and orchestrate all core team discussions and drive policies, standards and governance setting and implementation to sustain goals and outcomes YoY.
- Able to manage and correlate critical paths across multiple programs to determine and manage escalations and set team focus to address those constraints. Orchestrates discussions and teams to help clear through disagreements, open issues and dependency resolutions across cross-functional teams.
- Propose solutions to technical constraints using their technical expertise and experience, as well as provide expertise for escalated quality problems, and anticipate bottlenecks in the development cycle working with their technical team, architects, leads and management. Able to make compromises to ensure successful execution.
- Assume responsibility and drive ownership for issue resolution. Anticipate problems and complications, and formulate solutions so as not to impede the progress of the program. Assume responsibility to drive ownership for issue resolution.
- Ensure all business systems, IT systems, partner platforms and networks are in place to support the offer and that the technical design accurately represents the requirements.
- Accountable for on time product delivery, product quality, cost, and operations. Negotiates the use of resources, budgets, schedules, scope creep. Create and maintain scorecards to track lifecycle performance.
- Invents with technical product and program leads approaches to support architectural designs and solutions to enable team to execute his/her plan of action. Understands the value of leveraging latest technical advances. (Optimization of code, processor architecture, automation code coverage, etc.). Promote and champion an operational excellence culture.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 8+ years of Technical Program Management or Product Management experience in a technology oriented organization.
- 5+ years’ proven track record of successfully launching multi-dependent and complex technology and infrastructure products and services with geographically distributed teams in complex platform environments. Examples are but not limited to: Cloud, Network, Data Centers, Security, Software Development, Migrations of workloads, Platform architecture, Database & Storage, Data Mgt, Warehousing, Big Data, Operations Tools, Process Mgt, Process improvement, Automation Efficiencies of Operations, Operations management, Open Source IT technologies and approaches, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically when implementing products and solving problems.
- Technically savvy and able to ramp up on technologies quickly.
- Must be team-oriented and be able to work in a close-knit environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and nontechnical individuals.
- Individual must share passion and commitment to the values and mission of eBay and have ability to motivate teams to reach company objectives and follow cultural values.
- Proficient in infrastructure, operations and IT data/application platform standards & technologies
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field PMP and SCRUM related certifications
- Experience in Technical Consultancy industry preferred
- Successful Product Manager launching of complex IT tools, applications, automations, platforms, migrations, compliance and other infrastructure and technology engineering
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred but not necessary. Other professional management courses/certification a plus.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work on and track multiple projects simultaneously and with cross functional teams.
- Discuss, coordinate and identify key technical, product and design/architectural constraints, dependencies, needs to support program. Able to work with tech leads to drive discussions, options and decisions.
- Experience with Agile methodologies. Special remarks regarding work environment.
- Individual will need be able to hit the ground running and contribute right away.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: