Sr. Hardware EngineerSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0025665 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay - a company you can be proud to be a part of.
At eBay, we are starting a new chapter in our iconic internet history of being the largest online marketplace in the world. We have more than 1 billion listings with 80% of them selling new items, in over 400 markets around the world. The collection of services runs on a significant server and storage infrastructure, and the hardware engineering team is chartered to drive the reliability, efficiency and performance of this layer.
We are looking for a motivated System Platform Engineer to join our team to define & validate newest technology of hardware platforms from ODM and/or OEM vendors utilizing the latest open-source software technology. This person will join a small focused hardware and firmware development team in eBay, working with vendors and internal eBay software automation and supply teams directly to deliver the most cost effective, reliable platforms for eBay infrastructure. The position will involve new flash storage and/or GPU AI technologies. It requires effective communication and collaboration with Data Center, Global Services organization and internal software application teams on different compute, storage or GPU AI platforms.
- Interface and drive hardware vendors to develop new platforms with eBay hardware & firmware requirements
- Familiar to SATA , NVMe and/or GPU open-source software to characterize performance.
- Working with Supply team to evaluate and to select cost effective hardware solution via RFQ processes.
- Working with vendors and/or external labs to complete system evaluation and validation.
- Run standard benchmark performance testing.
- Test system BIOS, BMC firmware.
- Verify functionality, performance and reliability of memory, storage and network subsystems.
- Create and execute system test plans to provide comprehensive hardware validation from mechanical, thermal, electrical/power to firmware of programmable devices: BIOS, BMC, NIC, Storage Controller, CPLD, CM.
- Work with partner & customer teams to benchmark applications.
- At least 8-15 years of hardware or firmware validation on different hardware platforms using Linux or FreeBSD
- We are looking for a professional hardware engineer who has deep exposure to BIOS, BMC, NIC & server networking and Linux at the level of an authoritative user in most of these areas
- Must be familiar to computer system architecture
- Capable to compile, debug and package add-on Linux drivers in standard Linux distributions
- Scripting in Bash, Python or similar scripting languages
- Working experience with Computer Hardware vendors
- Hand-on experience of executing complete system validation
- Demonstrated oral & written communications
- NVMe and GPU knowledge
- Bonus: Capable to evaluate different persistent memory technology: NVMe flash drive; Apache Pass DIMMs
- Bonus: Exposure to BIOS or BMC firmware development and QA testing
- Bonus: Experience with multiple ODM hardware vendors
- Bonus: Exposure to provisioning and monitoring servers in a large scale data center
- BS EE or CS with continued formal or informal education
- Position ideally based in San Jose, CA with some business travel required.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: