Sr. Data Science ManagerSan Francisco, California Requisition Number R0025184
Primary Job Responsibilities
StubHub, an eBay company, is the world’s leading online tickets marketplace providing fans a safe, convenient place to get tickets to the games, concerts, and theater shows they want to see, and an easy way to sell their tickets when they can't go.
We are seeking a world class, authoritative Data Science leader to run the Data Science function at StubHub. The scope of this role is comprehensive responsibility of all things Data Science at StubHub.
Your impact will have a large measurable impact on StubHub’s bottom line. In this role, you will manage the team to develop, improve, and test algorithms to address business needs in personalized recommendations, fraud detection, and ticket recommendations, as well as other applications of Data Science as they arise. You will work with our SW Development team to ensure the scaled production algorithms replicated and maintained in the “factory” deliver maximum fidelity to those you and you team developed in the “lab”.
You and your team will also advise on, or directly design, controlled experiments on a wide variety of marketing and product alternatives.
You will manage the current Data Science staff and grow it over time, maintaining a high standard of rigor that gains StubHub competitive advantage by going beyond mere exercise of machine learning and multivariate statistical techniques to a deep understanding of the underlying drivers of the phenomena you discover in the data.
The role is based in StubHub’s San Francisco headquarters. It reports to the Head of Data & Analytics for StubHub and sits side-by-side with our integrated Data Development, Analytics, and Reporting functions.
- Manage the Managed Marketplace Data Science team, which is responsible for developing empirically-based algorithms that can be scaled for applications in ticket pricing and distribution, and other high-return-on-effort applications as they arise.
- Manage your direct reports to continually develop and apply skills relevant to the space, including machine learning and statistical modeling techniques and Python programming skills on Apache Spark, or Google CloudML, as well as sound business judgment and communication skills.
- Designs and evaluate the results of controlled experiments to optimize elements of our offering; advise others with respect to their experimental designs.
- Play a leadership role with respect to:
- Specifying improvements to our Big Data environment
- Regularly attend key initiative standups, proactively advising on opportunities to apply and the best approach to apply underlying empirical algorithms developed by your team.
- Engage StubHub’s relationship with UC Berkeley’s Data Science Industry Alliance Program (Department of Statistics).
- Authoritative quantitative analysis skills, particularly in machine learning, multivariate statistical modeling, and data mining.
- Strong communication skills and experience distilling and presenting complex quantitative analysis into action-oriented recommendations.
- Experience designing and evaluating the results of complex controlled experiments.
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills, with a strong emphasis on teamwork, initiative and integrity.
- Passion around live sports and the live entertainment industry is preferred.
- PhD in Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, Economics, Computer Science or equivalent quantitative field from a top tier school.
- >=5 years personally developing statistical and/or machine learned models and algorithms based on data generated by consumer behavior.
- 2+ years people management or project lead experience.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: