Sr. Search EngineerBerlin, Germany
Munich, Germany Requisition Number R0025573 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
At eBay, we have started a new chapter in our iconic internet history of being the largest online marketplace in the world. With more than 1 billion listings (more than 80% of them selling new items) in over 400 markets, eBay is providing a robust platform where merchants of all sizes can compete and win. Every single day millions of users come to eBay to search for items in our diverse inventory of over a billion items.
eBay is starting a new Search Platform and Applied Research team in Germany and we are looking for a Search Backend Engineer to join the team.
Do you have what it takes to build and operate a world-class search engine that serves billions of queries a day? Do you thrive on developing efficient data retrieval algorithms that process Gigabytes of data in milliseconds? Do you want to be part of a small, highly motivated team that owns tens of thousands of servers, over a billion unique listings and billions of backend queries a day, and provides high availability (99.999%) and performance?
Our product runs on thousands of servers serving billions of requests every day. Our work directly impacts eBay’s customer experience and hence the top and bottom line for eBay and provides immense opportunity to make an impact for eBay and its customers. We are passionate about building the best search engine & platform for the world’s largest online marketplace and are looking for top-notch software engineers. Seriously, if you think you are best in what you do and looking to work with some of the best in the field, read-on.
You don’t need to be an expert in search or information retrieval. You bring your passions to learn with great C++ & system knowledge and we may find a fit.
- Define, design and implement complex high-performance low-latency software applications in the search/information retrieval domain using modern C++ on a hyperscale high core count Linux platform.
- Be driven by quality, designing and writing code that is correct by default.
- Work with multiple platforms and compilers to flush out defects before release.
- Understand advanced programming techniques for multi-threading and memory allocation.
- Communicate and collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and other teams to develop strategic and tactical solutions in the search domain.
- Lead and estimate engineering effort, plan implementations, and rollout for complex search applications with implications to cross-functional teams.
- Be able to independently design, code and test major features, as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex applications.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other team members.
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes for complex infrastructure design.
- Work with other engineers, managers, product management, QA, and other teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes.
- Provide on-call out of office hours support to operations on a rotating schedule.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: