Applied Researcher / Data ScientistDreilinden, Germany Requisition Number R0025434 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
- Well versed in areas such as applied statistics, machine learning, data mining and general data structures & algorithms. You have a background in computer science or a related field, and maybe a graduate degree as well.
- A leader. You have years of experience mentoring junior researchers and developing a concept to a product.
- A go-getter. If something you need doesn’t exist you don’t wait around, you go and build it. Then you share it with others on the team and turn it into an open source project.
- Innovative and creative. You enjoy thinking through open ended problems, and figuring out how to use data-driven approaches to come up with solutions that satisfy the constraints of real-world systems at large scale.
- A life-long learner. You have an interest in new technologies in the realm of both research and software engineering. You have a passion for investigating new technologies and are open to considering new ideas and approaches to problems.
- Proficient with distributed systems like Hadoop and SPARK. You’re not necessarily an expert, but you have experience processing large datasets in such frameworks.
- Inherently curious. You want to know whether the distribution of the query frequency on ebay.com is Zipfian and what family of random graphs models the relationship between sellers and buyers on eBay.
- A polyglot programmer. You probably have a favorite language like Scala, Python or R but you can jump in and write some Java or C as needed.
- Results oriented. Research is great but at the end of the day you want to see your creation live and breathe.
Join the Search Science team at eBay!
- Be directly responsible for improving search recall and ranking via query understanding and machine learned ranking models that power the end-end search experience at eBay.
- Showcase the spectrum of value in the world’s most diverse ecommerce inventory, by improving whole page relevance, query recommendations, spell corrections, synonym/acronym expansions, and query rewrites.
- Conceptualize, code, deploy, and iterate on designs from prototypes all the way through to production systems.
- Analyze petabytes of real-world behavioral data to understand patterns and trends.
- Transform data insights into actionable reports, targeting algorithms, and model features.
- Provide technical leadership in statistical analysis, data mining, machine learning, NLP, and information retrieval.
- Work jointly with architecture, engineering, QE, and operations teams to deliver complex applications.
- Focus on our biggest opportunities in search, convert them into applied science problem statements, and then develop end-to-end solutions.
- Directly see the results of your applied research improving and powering the experience of eBay’s core search platform across the globe.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: