Software Engineer - ML Implementation
At eBay, you will be part of a purpose driven community dedicated to creating a bold and versatile work environment. In eBay Payments, you will be an integral member of a growing organization that inspires passion, courage and inventiveness - creating the future of global commerce and making an important, positive impact on millions of eBay sellers and shoppers around the world. If you are looking for a special place to take your Payments career to the next level, we want to talk with you!
Risk Management is at the core of Payments done well – and we are hiring curious, driven, and courageous experts to transform our business unit to enable eBay's next generation Payments strategy. Our focus is to ensure the integrity of our marketplace for buyers and sellers who transact with us every single day. The scope of our charter includes Risk Management Strategy, Policy, Decision Sciences, and Policy Operations.
We are looking for a highly talented and self-motivated software engineer to join our Decision Science team. Decision Science contains both data scientists and software engineers responsible for creating and implementing state of the art machine learning algorithms for fraud detection and risk assessment in support of Risk Management. The primary responsibility of this role is to assist in algorithm deployment inside of a high throughput, low latency, big data environment.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Within the Decision Science team, the software engineer will work side by side with our data scientists to develop JAVA applications, which bring machine-learning models to life inside a production environment. You will be leveraging core big data and deployment infrastructure to aggregate and structure data, monitor the quality of data feeds, build integration layers between data sources and machine learning models, and ultimately detect fraud in real time. You will design, customize, and automate necessary processes building a robust data science pipeline for linking production results to our big data stack for monitoring and model retraining. Strong self-motivation, a passion for data, and interest in high performance computing systems is the key to success in this type of role.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, MS/PHD preferred.
- 2+ years of related experience
- Strong Java developer; experience with J2EE/JavaEE architectures. Experience with Java frameworks, like Java Spring, is a plus.
- Extensive experience with Service Oriented Architectures, including both building and consuming REST, XML, JSON, and WSDL/SOAP interfaces; also exchange data with NoSql databases.
- Relational database expertise: Experience with Teradata, Oracle etc
- Experience with the Hadoop ecosystem: HDFS, Spark, Pig, Hive a plus
- Experience with event stream data, such as Kafka, Storm, etc. desired
- Experience in SDLC, especially testing and deployment. Experience with Jenkins is a plus.
- Working knowledge of scripting languages (Python, etc.)
- Knowledge around machine learning a plus
- A keen strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to put complex ideas into clear frameworks, and use data to drive innovation.
- Embodies the work ethic and personality that thrives in a fast-paced culture with tight deadlines, shifting priorities, and matrix managed responsibilities.
- Seeks to identify root causes and recommends solutions to avoid repeat of problems. Shows a high level of skills in breaking down problems into their essential elements, carrying out a diagnosis and developing a solution.
- Continuously seeks out improvement and innovation opportunities in analytic technologies that have immediate and meaningful impact on business. Provide a source of high quality ideas.
- Collaborates with peers across the broad organization on ideation and innovation. Provide technical knowledge and thought leadership to the broad analytic community in the area of expertise.
- Has the ability to identify and involve the right resources to accomplish projects. Knows when and where to get data and how to apply scientific and academic expertise to decisions.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years