Site Reliability EngineerAmsterdam, North Holland Requisition Number R0021996
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Amsterdam NL
Ask any Dutch internet user about their favorite Marktplaats story. Observe their excitement about the great deal they found or the interesting people they met. They have made Marktplaats the most popular site and the most downloaded app made in the Netherlands.
We are an international team (26 countries!) of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us. This is a big responsibility; you will work on high-availability servers, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career in Marktplaats and eBay.
Your growth will involve our highly-performant and high-traffic systems. During peak hours, our site's per-second throughput is OVER 1000 searches (which makes us the second most-used search engine in NL), 25K images and 4GB of data; Marktplaats handles over 1 million unique visitors, 350K new advertisements and 155K transactions daily. On an average month, we get 140 million visits, which translates into 2.5 billion page views. But our users demand more, so we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Consul, Node.js, React, Swift and Play
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eBay Classifieds Group in trending topics like DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on one of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands
Speed is key on our E-commerce platform and we are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer who can help us in our efforts to increase speed but also keeping the reliability in mind. If you enjoy mitigating risk by quickly detecting issues, fast deployments and building resilient products this could be the job for you. The ideal candidate has a Software Engineering, Operations, DevOps or QA/ Test background.
What we expect from you:
- Love big scale things and be able to identify risks and recommend actions to mitigate this risk
- Creating and aligning real-time monitoring and testing approaches with developers, Operations and QA
- Don't repeat, automate! ("believe in and aptitude for developing software systems to solve complex problems")
- Ability to work in a large Agile cross-functional team (e.g., DevOps, Kanban, Scrum)
- Easy to communicate with anyone from any discipline
- Leading our efforts to become a truly Continuous Delivery platform by working with your team
- Failure mode analysis (What can go wrong, what can we do when something fails)
- Able to triage production incidents on Infrastructure level
- An expert with monitoring frameworks (e.g., Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus)
- Infrastructure components (Load Balancers, routing, proxies etc.)
- High Availability setups (failover, dual DC setups, Master/Slave)
- Understanding and applying scheduler and deployment strategies (Nomad, Blue-green etc.)
- Configuration management (Puppet, Salt etc.)
- Micro-service building blocks like Service discovery (Consul, etcd etc.)
- Circuit breaking (Hystrix etc.)
- Unix, Go, Python
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then we invite you to apply and send us your cv. For more information, you can contact Radboud Fluttert, Talent Engagement Partner.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: