Unix Systems EngineerAustin, Texas Requisition Number R0034908 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and creativity, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive work environment, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
This is an overnight, 12 hour shift (8 PM-8AM). Will be on for multiple shifts, and then have multiple days off.
- Run and monitor systems to drive troubleshooting and tuning
- First and second tier resolution of production issues and alerts
- Understand all components of the eBay site infrastructure in order to analyze impact of alarms and other system messages
- Work with external teams to diagnose complex problems and drive resolution
- Utilize industry standard and custom tools to diagnose and resolve production issues
- Resolve errors and alarms quickly and provide timely escalation
- Complete tasks required to maintain service levels and availability of all site features and functions
- Help lead development efforts, especially in tools and automation projects
- Perform Systems Engineering Tasks as needed
- Coordinate with vendors and assist in hardware replacements.
- At all times ensure efficient and reliable ebay.com
- 5+ years of Unix Systems Engineering Experience
- Ability to lead and tackle large scale systems and high transaction web operations environments
- Passionate about Operations - you like to make things run and fix them when they break
- Ability to work on many tasks simultaneously in a high-pressure environment
- Willing to work in a shift model during the day, 12 hours a shift, multiple shifts in a row
- Experienced with large and distributed systems like cloud computing (Hadoop,) web services, multi-tier serving architectures etc.
- Knowledge of common system administration tools, Networking (LAN and WAN,) Unix, Windows, Load balancers, DNS, TCP/IP and Storage technologies
- Advanced working experience with scripting especially in creating tools to automate repetitive tasks
- Familiarity on clustering concepts especially VERITAS
- Advanced knowledge of Perl, PHP, Python or Ruby
- Be familiar with Agile software development practices
- Production experience with large scale system deployment and configuration tools
- Shown problem solving skills with an emphasis on quick problem resolution
- Excellent verbal, written and documentation skills
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: