Legal CounselDraper, Utah Requisition Number R0029629
Legal Counsel, eBay Classifieds Global Growth Group
eBay Inc.’s Legal Department is looking for an International e-commerce lawyer to join the eBay Classifieds Legal Team based in Salt Lake City, Utah to act as in-house counsel to the eBay Classifieds Global Growth Group businesses (e.g. eBay.com North American Vehicles in the U.S., Gumtree in South Africa, Ireland, and Poland, Vivanuncios in Mexico, alaMaula in Argentina, and Disruptive Mobile App development projects). The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about working in one of the e-commerce world's premier in-house Legal Departments, sitting with the business, acting as a true business partner and advising a diverse portfolio of businesses in varying growth stages in both mature and emerging markets on cutting-edge legal issues. Candidate should have significant experience drafting and negotiating non-routine commercial contracts and advising on innovative products/legal issues for an international technology company. This position will report to the Head of Legal, eBay Classifieds Global Growth Group.
This Role’s primary accountabilities include:
- Working with business stakeholders to understand, structure, negotiate, draft and close complex commercial agreements (as well as advertising, marketing, PR, technology and other types of agreements);
- Carrying out product review on the Growth Group business unit’s web and mobile sites/apps and supporting the review of eBay Classifieds sites/apps globally;
- Possible M&A integration support;
- Independently coordinating with functional stakeholders, including Tax, Privacy, Information Security, Litigation, IP, and other internal teams;
- Liaising with eBay Inc. Legal team globally; and
- Managing external counsel globally, as necessary.
- Be qualified to practice law in the United States - any other jurisdictions (South Africa, Mexico, Argentina) is a plus;
- Have at least 5 years of strong experience in international e-commerce law, IT, IP, employment, privacy and/or international business transactions, drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts;
- Have strong product review skills - ability to project manage the legal review and updating of a network of international websites/apps and the regular rollout of new products/functionality - working in cooperation with internal legal and product development stakeholders and external counsel in multiple jurisdictions;
- Have great business rapport building skills and strong business acumen - this is a high growth entrepreneurial business and we need a lawyer who can build strong relationships quickly and has the confidence to advise in real time (including remotely, as applicable).
Ideal candidates will:
- Have start-up/Incubator in-house legal/business experience;
- Have major ecommerce brand in-house legal experience;
- Have emerging markets e-commerce business experience;
- Be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role;
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced culture, and have a practical, solutions-oriented focus;
- Legal budget management experience - accruals, fee negotiation, law firm management;
- Spanish language (and any additional language) skills are a plus;
- LLM in IT/IP/E-commerce law a plus.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: