Legal Counsel, Gumtree UKLondon, United Kingdom Requisition Number R0029123 Subsidiary Gumtree
Looking for a company that champions passion, courage and inventiveness, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to craft how millions of people buy, sell, engage, and give around the world?
Gumtree, founded in 2000 and part of eBay Classifieds Group, welcomes over 14.5M unique visitors every month. On Gumtree you can buy and sell everything from cars to home items and find jobs, local services, community events and even somewhere to live.
Like to shake things up? We do! eBay/Gumtree hire innovators who can push boundaries and change the world.
About the team:
The Legal Department at Gumtree needs an outstanding in-house e-commerce lawyer to join the team, based in Richmond, Surrey. You would be passionate about working in one of the e-commerce world's premier companies, sitting with the business, acting as a true business partner and advising a diverse portfolio of e-commerce sites/products on cutting-edge legal issues.
This position will report to the Head of Legal for Gumtree.com Ltd.
A legal professional with significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and advising on innovative products and legal issues for an international technology company.
Have great business rapport building skills and strong business insight – as well as the ability to work in a fast-moving business;
Keen to travel on a regular basis between UK-based offices and occasionally internationally.
- Sit with the fast-paced eBay Classifieds Group business teams and act as their real-time legal advisor – while also doing their operational legal work (contracts, customer-facing documents, instructing counsel regionally);
- Work with business partners to understand, structure, negotiate and close commercial agreements;
- Carry out product reviews on the business’ web and mobile sites/apps;
- Together with the eBay Classifieds Legal Team, provide support to other eBay Classifieds sites/apps globally;
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts for marketing, PR, technology, online advertising and other services;
- Provide support on M&A integration related issues;
- Independently liaise with functional partners, including Tax, Privacy, Information Security, Litigation, IP, and other internal teams;
- Liaise with eBay Inc. Legal team globally;
- Lead external counsel regionally, as necessary.
- The necessary qualifications to practice law in the UK – any other jurisdiction would be highly beneficial;
- 1 to 4 years of experience in e-commerce law and negotiating commercial contracts;
- Strong product review skills - ability to review and update websites/apps and new products/functionalities - working in collaboration with the business and external counsel;
- The ability to issue-spot IT/IP and data protection issues.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have start-up/Incubator in-house legal/business experience;
- Have major ecommerce brand in-house legal experience at an international level;
- Be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role (both in and outside the United Kingdom);
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced culture, and have a practical/solutions-oriented focus;
- Have legal budget management experience – accruals; law firm management;
- LLM in IT/IP/E-commerce law a plus.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely different backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: