Strategy AssociateLondon, United Kingdom Requisition Number R0028828 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces, connecting millions of buyers and sellers every day. Our ambition is to be the place the world shops first, because we offer the best choice, most relevant shopping experiences and the most powerful selling platform. If it is happening anywhere in the world, it is happening on eBay.
Launched in 1995 with a sale of a broken laser pointer, eBay is one of the pioneers that ushered in the era of online retail, and was particularly well-known for its auctions. However, as shopping behaviour has been changing, eBay has been evolving too. eBay today is very different than its early auction days: vast majority of items sold on our marketplaces are new, sold at fixed price, with free delivery in 2-3 days. And we continue working to transform the company at an accelerating pace. Recently, our Chief Executive Devin Wenig remarked that there has been more change in eBay in the last 12 months than in the 23 years since the company’s birth – a reflection of the accelerating pace of innovation in our business.
Ebay strategy team
The global eBay strategy team plays a meaningful role in helping eBay’s transformation into a modern ecommerce player. The strategy function is well embedded within eBay and, as such, has a great deal of exposure.
Projects typically have a business sponsor and for those within the European strategy team, time is split between global initiatives, European projects and local assignments. There is a high level of demand placed on the team, country leadership always being enthusiastic to make the best use of smart, talented capability. The strategy team also has an excellent track record of cultivating, developing and promoting its members into roles beyond that which they were hired to undertake. We are looking to hear from individuals who have the potential and drive to undertake operational, commercial or wider leadership positions within the firm, something which can happen within a reasonably short time frame.
The opportunity: Strategy Associate, London
The eBay Marketplaces Strategy Team is currently looking to grow the function by bringing in a Strategy Associate, reporting to the Director of UK Strategy.
In this role, you will be tasked with independently leading complex, critical projects for the organisation in close partnership with cross functional teams. The role provides the intellectual challenge typical of strategy consulting projects, while also offering an opportunity to gain deeper insight into how strategy rolls into implementation and execution.
You will work directly with eBay’s executive leadership team and partner with regional leaders and operating teams, as well as other members of the global Strategy group (lead by VP eBay Marketplaces Strategy) in the US & Europe, to develop and implement recommendations.
The Strategy Associate position provides a unique level of exposure and responsibility for those looking to move into a corporate role that provides future opportunities for rapid advancement across the eBay organisation.
- Strategy development and execution: Run complex, critical, strategic projects in close partnership with cross-functional teams end to end. Drive problem/project scoping, rationale/business case development and insight generation
- Relationship building: Develop strong working relationships with key decision makers and functional groups across eBay. Become an extended member of regional operating teams to gain a deep understanding of the business
- Communication: Present strategies and insights to senior management and the European leadership team
- Market & competitive intelligence: Develop strong subject matter expertise and share with leadership teams strategic implications for eBay Marketplaces
- Senior presence, strong communication and influencing skills – able to handle a diverse set of internal partners and become a ‘go-to’ thought partner for senior management.
- Extensive project leadership skills with a consistent record of results delivery
- World-class strategic and analytical capabilities (quantitative and qualitative)
- Desire to drive real change to the way we do business and build value for our buyers and sellers, and persistence to see the impact delivered in spite of various obstacles and setbacks
- Real passion for e-commerce and new online products / technologies (e.g. e-commerce, payments, mobile)
- Strong and open personality, ability to work with senior business partners and challenge assumptions or opinions
- Strong team leadership skills – able to nurture and develop team members
- Intrinsic motivation to look for the best possible answer
- Comfortable in dealing with ambiguity
- Highly collaborative – be fun, outgoing, and easy to work with!
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree and potentially an MBA or PhD
- Between 2 - 4 years’ commercial experience total. A minimum of 2 years’ consulting experience with a tier 1 firm.
- Retail or consumer internet background. Deep understanding of internet / ecommerce trends and real passion for online & mobile business models
- International experience
- Self-starter & independent work style
- Flexibility to occasionally travel in Europe & the USA
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: