Sr. Android Engineer
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose-driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
The bulk of eBay’s DE Product Development team is based in Dreilinden (Berlin) and is part of the global Core Product and Technology team. This Senior Android Engineer role is based in Portland, Oregon. We enable commerce at scale, and have massive customer impact. Whilst doing all this, we are on a mission to improve eBay technology, drive agile adoption and demonstrate customer-centric development targeted towards our customers in Germany. While focused on local market needs we also contribute to eBay’s global product and technology portfolio. To do this, we improve existing experiences, build or extend core products and experiment with new innovations to make the lives of eBay customers better.
We are continually striving for the highest quality, and work in small focused teams following bits of Scrum, bits of Kanban, with a healthy dose of Extreme Programming (p.s. these aren't buzzwords, we mean it when we say we do this stuff).
Our cross-functional teams have Product Management, all aspects of Product Development (including DevOps and Test), and UX all working together every day. We are collocated with eBay Germany’s business teams and closely interact with our German customers and other eBay teams on a daily basis.
Working at eBay is a rewarding, challenging and inspiring experience.
As a Senior Android engineer on the German regional development team, you should have an expert's depth and breadth of experience in Android, Java, Kotlin and Android Developer Studio as well as familiarity with the integration of network services. You should be proficient in teaching and leading by example and mentoring both junior and senior engineers
Primary Job Responsibilities
You must be very familiar with and an advocate of common Agile practices:
- Designing elegant technical solutions to customer problems
- TDD, clean code, software craftsmanship
- Testing at all levels (unit, integration, and UI)
- Continuous delivery and integration
- Code reviews
- Standard scrum ceremonies (e.g. stand-ups, sprint planning, demos and retrospectives)
- Training / coaching
You will also be expected to:
- Integrate closely w/ colleagues in Germany and other remote offices
- Evangelize, mentor, and promote mobile development best practices throughout the company
- Promote a culture of "internal open source" where teams can contribute to each other's code bases regardless of organizational boundaries
Enjoy being part of a team of motivated, collaborative, high-achievers
Communicate effectively within your team and across teams.
Identify project risks, quantify risk/benefit relationships and provide alternative solutions as well as risk mitigation.
- 6+ Years of software design and development experience working on a team
- 4+ years of experience generating commercial quality Android applications using Java and/or Kotlin -please provide links to published apps
- Deep web service experience - full stack capabilities strongly preferred
- Comfortable with rapid development cycles, tight schedules, close integration with QA and product management
- Deep understanding mobile application design considerations
- Deep understanding of visual and interaction design principles for Android apps
- Deep understanding of design patterns, and experience working in a layered architecture
- Strong work ethic – someone who takes great pride in professionalism, responsibility, and being proactive
- Self-starter, positive can-do attitude with a strong desire to succeed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Proactive and hardworking when tackling new challenges
- The ability to work independently and the confidence to question where necessary
An open, sharing, and interactive approach to software development
Some travel to Germany may be required
- BS degree in related field or equivalent
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years