Principal Software Architect
San Francisco, California
Position: Principal Software Architect
Location: San Francisco, CA
Organization: StubHub, www.stubhub.com (an eBay company NASDAQ: EBAY)
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Principal Software Architect is a senior technologist and an inspiring leader who oversees the site architecture and design, drives the technology vision, roadmap and helps make build against buy decisions. This senior leader will work closely with and mentor other architects and engineering leaders in the group and groom them to be successful in their jobs. Overall, we are looking for an experienced Lead Architect to make intuitive high-level decisions in our overall “big picture” and create architectural approaches for software design and implementation to lead our development team. You will lead software development architecture roadmap, be a significant evangelist for the latest, most relevant technologies and software engineering best-practices, and mentor leaders of the teams that define and implement software, tools, and processes to run our distributed services. Your goal will be to provide a framework for the development of a full-stack critical application for our high-transactional marketplace. You possess software development and project management delivery experience, having landed large and complex software programs with a proven ability to motivate teams that are innovative, delivery focused, and highly effective.
* Design and architect solutions to build and extend upon our highly distributed systems
* Translate the desired business outcome to technical solutions that meet operational and business needs
* Guide the overall design and architecture of our full stack
* Identify new technologies and techniques that can improve our overall platform
* Mentor members of the development team to help build effective engineering practices
* Communicate effectively up and down the organization including to CTOs and executives across the company
* Align Infrastructure strategy and planning with the company's business goals
* Build scalable, reliable, and efficient mechanisms required to meet our rapidly increasing demand for Infrastructure resources
* Provide effective strategy for data collection, establish rational metrics and create a plan to analyze and report on relevant business drivers and KPIs
* Lead project scoping, roadmap, and architecture discussions with business partners and Infrastructure leadership
* Promote a metrics-based software development culture of quality, collaboration, rapid delivery
* Build reliable, self-healing services on unreliable hardware
* Design, develop, debug, and operate resilient distributed systems that run across thousands of compute nodes in multiple datacenters
* More than 10 years of software development experience
* Over 5 years of experience working in Software Architecture for dynamic software development organizations at scale
* Experience in a Linux/UNIX data center environment
* Any of the following languages: Java (preferred), C++, C, C#, Ruby, Go, Scala, Python, Bash
* In-depth understanding of OOP, design patterns, data structures, algorithms, and concurrency
* Experience building large scale distributed, fault-tolerant systems
* Experience with Agile Development Methodologies and Test-Driven Development
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Loves to explain the technology and has a gift for concisely explaining complex topics
* Lives for the whiteboard. Block diagrams, process development, and turning those whiteboard photos into documented development plans and code are a requirement
* MS or PhD in Computer Science or related field, or BS in Computer Science plus relevant job-related experience
StubHub is the world's largest ticket marketplace, enabling fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of sports, concert, theater and other live entertainment events. StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. The company's unique online marketplace, dedicated solely to tickets, provides all fans the choice to buy or sell their tickets in a safe, convenient and highly reliable environment. All transactions are processed and delivered by StubHub and backed by the company's FanProtect Guarantee™ processing a ticket every second today with billions of ticket sales each year globally. Company partners MLB, AEG, ESPN and many leading teams such as the San Francisco Giants and University of Texas, along with over 60 other teams in MLB, NBA, NHL and NCAA.
* StubHub One – We act as one team in pursuit of connecting people through inspiring event experiences.
* At StubHub, we are:
* Driven – We strive for excellence – constantly improving our game
* Courageous – We are bold & not afraid to challenge the status quo
* Inventive – We see what others don’t & pioneer new paths
* Richly Diverse – We recognize & respect everyone as a unique individual
* Brand – We experience the world through StubHub.
Affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
StubHub is a Subsidiary of eBay.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants with relevant experience will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
StubHub is a Subsidiary of eBay.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years