Director, Commercial CounselSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0019700
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
eBay’s innovative legal department is looking for an experienced, creative and business-oriented Commercial Attorney to join the Commercial Legal Team based in San Jose, CA, supporting eBay’s Global Customer Experience organization. In this role, you will be the point of contact attorney with eBay’s Global Customer Service Organization, providing legal support for all aspects of this multi-faceted business. With a keen eye for navigating business and legal issues spanning this organization, this role requires someone with a strong, strategic vision and keen ability to see around corners. In addition to the structuring of global third-party partnerships and the roll out of new customer support features and functionality, this attorney will be able to manage employment, privacy, consumer protection, and intellectual property issues.
Significant components of this role include: (1) reviewing, drafting and negotiation of contracts for global complex strategic partnerships; (2) evaluation and mitigation of business risks domestically and internationally; and (3) familiarity with key business trends and devising innovative ways to address those trends. The ideal candidate must have deep and demonstrated international experience in this area and is someone who is passionate about customer service.
With more than 150 million active users, eBay is the world's largest online marketplace, where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate community of individual buyers and sellers, as well as small businesses. Their collective impact on ecommerce is staggering, and more than 700 million items are listed on eBay. Our legal team provides key support for this business.
- This position will report into the Associate General Counsel and Head of the Commercial Legal Group and will support eBay’s Global Customer Service organization, among other business units, focused on bringing best-in-class customer service to eBay’s users around the world.
- Interacting side-by-side with key business stakeholders as the “go-to” lawyer for structuring, negotiating and bringing to close international complex, strategic customer support partnership transactions.
- Drafting and negotiating high-value contracts to procure goods and services from strategic vendors.
- Independently coordinating with functional stakeholders, including Privacy, Information Security, Risk Management, Tax, Litigation, IP, and other internal teams.
- Proactively pursuing and executing operational efficiencies in the commercial contracts context to improve processes, including technology solves, to improve service and responsiveness levels in a scalable manner.
- Willingness to travel, both domestic and international
- Actively monitoring business trends and creatively addressing same.
- Ideal candidates will have a proven-track record of success managing complex commercial transactions in the customer service outsourcing space.
- Strong commitment to diversity and awareness of cultural differences across the various regions we serve.
- Able to maintain excellent rapport and presence with global internal and external business clients and have strong business acumen.
- Have the ability to convey concepts and objectives orally and in writing with clarity.
- Be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced culture, and have a practical, solutions-oriented focus.
- 12+ years experience with customer service outsourcing, technology, mobile, or Internet space, with a preference for e-commerce
- Experience in the following areas required:
- Commercial Contract drafting and negotiation;
- Customer Service Outsourcing
- Privacy/data protection
- Intellectual Property
- Consumer protection
- High proficiency and proven experience working with business and technology leaders, and managing senior level business relationships
- Excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and agile thinker, with the ability to tolerate change and ambiguity
- Tolerance for fast-paced work environment
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- Good sense of humor
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- State Bar membership
- Ability to cherish innovation, embrace change, and believe that there is always room for improvement
View our accessibility infoR0019700
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or long term unemployment circumstances. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.