MTS 1, Software Engineer
San Jose, California
Looking for a company that encourages passion, courage and creativity, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re passionate about joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
The Role and Opportunity
The Verticals Engineering (Product Development) team builds features that cater to specific experiences for top performing categories. Verticals encompass Motors, Fashion, Electronics and broader areas such as eBay Deals, Stores, Electronic Gifting, and Warranties. The Verticals Engineering team works closely with the Product Management, Quality Engineering, Design and Verticals Business Partners to build business solutions that are used by millions of eBay users across the globe every day. We are responsible for businesses that represent billions of dollars worth of goods and services sold on eBay.
Our agile teams are based in San Jose, California. The team works on technologies such as Java, RESTful services and database solutions (Mongo, Oracle, Cassandra, Elastic, etc.). Like everything else at eBay, we build scalable and highly-available systems for the millions of users that depend on us to conduct their businesses.
Primary Job Responsibilities
As an MTS, this person will be hands-on with product development, building high quality software. In addition, mentor other engineers while raising the bar on the team’s discipline and technical excellence. Having a good amount of experience with agile teams and methodologies is required.
- 6 + years’ hands-on experience working with large-scale server side development in a production environment.
- Expert in Java language features, Object Oriented and Modular programming. Design Patterns are a plus.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
- Proficient in Database design and deep understanding of RDBMS/no-SQL/Elastic clusters
- Experience with RESTful service & API design at scale.
- Advanced knowledge of Java and JAX-RS with command of multi-threaded concurrency.
- Familiarity with Spring is a plus.
- Strong exposure to Agile methodologies and Scrum with successful track-record of deliveries.
- Participate in architecture discussions, lead product design, code reviews and propose solutions to system and product changes.
- Experience working with other groups such as Build/Release, Operations, Load and Performance, Security & QE.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and can work well with a diverse set of professionals.
- Able to work in a fast paced, iterative development environment
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem-solver 10
- Quick-thinking 9
- Creative 8
- Productive 7
- Courageous 6
- Team Player 5
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years