MTS 2, Software Engineer
San Jose, California
Do you want to be part of the team that architects the industry’s most powerful and innovative e-commerce technology stack?
eBay’s Core Product Technology team is embarking on an exciting journey to transform itself and is determined to revolutionize the future of the e-commerce landscape.
Are you the kind that simply loves ALL kinds of technologies and wants things to “just work the right way”?
Are you the kind that lives and breathes creating “artistic” code and engineering designs that exude quality and inspire others?
The Marketplace Architecture team is looking for folks who live and breathe coding and debugging complex problems across a range of technology stacks. Not only do you get to go in and out of complex systems and space, you get to build software systems that use AI to help humans with these problems - machines and humans working together!
Curious and excited now?
For the technologists out there - your playground is going to be technologies ranging from cloud computing infrastructure and platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes, Networking, Linux and DevOps to Big Data to machine learning algorithms, data sciences and search engines to application cloud services built on Java, Node.js, Go, Python to mobile applications and business entity e-commerce systems and more.
So what is it going to take for you to be part of this Marketplace Architecture team of world class engineers?
You need to be that expert who first and foremost - is the coder of coders, the debugger of debuggers and lives and breathes building quality systems and enhancing quality so that systems always work!
You should be a “software forensics scientist” at heart - unafraid to get into complex code, debug complex interactions and systems and quickly figure out why they’re not working.
You are the kind that likes learning new tech and working with multiple teams of technologists in order to understand and improve first, but then later develop best practices and patterns and up level others and their software and diagnostics quality.
You need to share and develop patterns of writing great quality software and help others do the same.
Finally - you need to be the engineer of engineers who designs and codes up systems for debug/diagnosis failures at a megascale to help humans in causality isolation but then - look to the future and integrate AI techniques to predict, prevent and take correction actions.
You’re the engineer who will help build “auto-detect-and-healing” systems!
- Exercises leadership in techniques and creative methodologies for diagnostic tool development
- Mentors less experienced engineers on fault isolation tools and methods
- Collaborates with engineers and other senior architects for Design for Testability, Quality Frameworks, DevOps and Data driven designs and engineering patterns and behaviors
- Explores, evaluates and develops new advances diagnostic tools and methods
- Developing tools for debug and diagnosis system function failures as well as failure analysis
- Demonstrates ability to turn innovative ideas into new and improved diagnostic tools and methodologies
- Proven expertise in building platforms that support virtualization, scale, security, availability, performance and automation. Experience with Docker and Kubernetes a plus.
- Hands-on experience in building a microservices based architecture and platform developed and deployed at scale.
- Strong track record of engineering excellence including continuous delivery of high quality, massively scaled, innovative software. Expertise in Test-Driven Development and establishing a DevOps practice are a plus.
- Domain expertise in one or more e-commerce or cloud infrastructure services.
- Well understood distributed and ecommerce processing systems, operating systems, system debuggers, micro-service architectures and applications development skills
- Experience and knowledge of IC functional test pattern generation and debug
- Exceptional Linux, Java, coding and scripting skills
- Excellent in collaborative environment and able to lead a development team.
- Basic understanding of front-end technologies, such as HTML5, and CSS3
- Strong skills for verbal & written communication targeting technical and non-technical audiences
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to autonomously manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, iterative development environment with short turnaround times.
- Self-motivated, passionate for technology, and strong driver for results and continual improvement.
- Team player - work well independently and in multi-group cross-discipline environment.
- BS/MS in CS with 10-12 or more years in software engineering, design and architecture.
- 8+ years minimum of real-world coding, debugging and diagnostics experience in high scale distributed micro-service architectures
- Experience with code analysis (dissecting features, looking at code flow in IDA, stepping through program execution with a debugger, examining system internals)
- Experience at analyzing and mining very large data sets by using existing utilities and writing new tools if needed
- Experience with at least one high scale data storage/database system (preferably experience with relational and no-relational databases)
- Experience in functional design for debug techniques and functional pattern development.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years