MTS2, Hadoop Software Engineer
San Jose, California
MTS2, Hadoop Software Engineer
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage, and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose-driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
We are part of the Analytics Data Platform Team within eBay, working with a mission towards enhancing availability, security, tools and other features within Analytics Platform, specifically on Hadoop. We are looking for talented engineers with a strong SRE mindset who can administer, support, build, ship and manage great software while working with open source products, leading and contributing to transformational projects around Hadoop and related products. Strong automation/coding skills on Java or Python with technical experience on Big Data stack with passion around productivity, efficiency and operational excellence and ability to contribute to the next-gen evolution of the analytics platform within eBay.
You will be responsible for supporting and developing features & frameworks with the focus on scenarios over Hadoop, Spark, and Databases, along with supporting the ecosystem and customers on a day to day basis. eBay has one of the largest Hadoop Deployments in the world with over 14500+ nodes and 500+ Petabytes of configured storage.
We are a fun and exceptionally passionate team, striving to make a difference in creating secure and innovative solutions for our Platform. We are looking for you to build strong cross-platform relationships with our customers and partners.
The Cool Part:
- Be part of the mission to contribute into and enable the next generation Hadoop Platform at eBay.
- Work in small groups of extremely talented and dedicated engineers in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Design and implement differentiated production-grade features related to security, high availability, and multi-tenancy.
- Contribute to open source projects while delivering value to eBay
- Good Team player.
- Hands-on experience with Big Data stack (Spark SQL, Hive, etc.).
- Performance tuning and Debugging on SparkSQL and Hive.
- Work closely with development teams to understand new projects on Hadoop and provide design & DBA support to all subject areas on Hadoop.
- Experience on Hive/Spark internals and SQL performance tuning in Spark SQL/Hive Query Language.
- Demonstrated ability to apply problem analysis and resolution techniques to complex system problems.
- Experience with large-scale data environments, including, design, configuration, installation, capacity management, and performance tuning and monitoring.
- Experience with versioning, change control, problem management.
- Solid experience with monitoring frameworks, and analyzing production platforms, Linux servers and mission-critical systems with alerting and self-healing systems
- Proven customer centricity who can foster effective partnerships with colleagues, customers, management and is willing to step in to complement operations teams during critical periods.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum and previous experience delivering in a story-driven agile environment is preferred.
- Participate in 12x7 oncall rotations for production escalations.
- Master’s Degree in computer science or a bachelor’s degree with significant relevant experience is required
- 8+ years related work experience
- Strong Java/Python development experience
- Good DBA, Hadoop, Linux, and networking knowledge
- Self-directed work style with minimum supervision
- Strong technical and large systems design skills
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years