Open Source and Patent CounselSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0014653 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
eBay seeks a highly motivated and technologically-savvy attorney to join the eBay legal team and serve as Open Source & Patent Counsel for eBay. This position will have responsibility to counsel technologists and the business as to open source issues, and to provide support to patent litigation matters.
• Work collegially and pro-actively with various teams across the Company to advise on legal, open source and licensing issues, including technical analysis of software products, education and training of technical teams, and review of licenses for open source projects.
• Train technologists on and implement open source compliance procedures.
• Work with developers to balance the needs of the business with risks and obligations associated with use of open source software.
• Analyze patents for all contexts, including acquisition, licensing, and litigation.
• Provide strategic management and oversight of patent litigation and patent assertion matters.
- Targeting 7-10 years of combined firm and inhouse experience, including significant experience in open source issues, including open source and patent litigation experience.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree, with California state bar membership
- Patent bar membership (USPTO registration number) is required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field is required.
- A Computer Science degree is highly preferred with interest in programming, and an ability to discuss code and programming with our developers.
- Knowledge of Internet and software technology, whether from previous legal or technical experience. Prior experience in software development is a plus.
- Excellent open source analysis skills, including experience working with both in-bound and out-bound licensing issues, contributions, and open source organizations.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with widely used open source licenses, software, applications and tools, and excellent understanding of open source obligations.
- Experience in patent assertions/pre-litigation, and litigation of patent disputes, including fact discovery, Markman hearings, and summary judgment practice.
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize and execute in a fast paced, demanding and rapidly changing work place.
- Ability to collegially and collaboratively provide timely advice on general business and technology issues taking into account business goals and IP protection concerns.
- Excellent written communication including attention to detail.
- Excellent oral communication including in-person and remote (e.g., phone, video conference) discussions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to foster trust and respect and to create friendly and collaborative internal working relationships with internal clients.
- Knowledge of IP laws generally, and patent laws specifically.
- Good business acumen.
- Good sense of humor.
eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world’s largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection.
is a Subsidiary of eBay.
View accessibility info here
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or long term unemployment circumstances. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.