Senior Software Engineer - AI/Chatbot
San Jose, California
Looking for a global commerce leader where you can shape how the world buys, sells, and gives? Where you’ll be supported in challenging convention, taking risks, and innovating? Where you’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago? Where you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact for people across the globe? We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
We are the Self-service Technology team and we own the Online Customer service experience on both Web and Mobile and other touchpoints to ebay customer service. What we work on here impacts the lives of millions every day. We’re looking for the highest levels of technical talent and programming skills, as well as a keen desire to deeply understand our products and services to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, and scalability. Our team is based in San Jose, California and we team work on technologies such as Java, Node.js, web-services, browser-related technologies (jQuery, HTML5, etc.), iOS, Android and database solutions (NoSQL, Oracle, etc.). The team also has an active AI Roadmap building Natural language Customer service bots and Search products. We build scalable and highly-available systems for the millions of users that depend on us to conduct their businesses.
Primary job responsibilities
- Work with PM and UED teams to create innovative product solutions to meet business objectives
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and Operations teams to design and develop strategic and tactical solutions
- You will drive continuous process improvement, and increase the efficiency and quality of AI project deliveries.
- You will monitor and continuously improve the performance of the AI products.
- Implement working prototypes for testing new ideas
- Participate and contribute to design and code reviews for producing quality code
- Share engineering support and release
- Communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
Required skills / experience
- 7+ years of software design and development experience or MS in Computer Science plus 5 years of experience, solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in problem solving and software design
- Expert in Java language features, Object Oriented and Modular programming.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
- 3+ years of Experience with RESTful service & API design at scale.
- 2 + years of Experience in AI based chat engines and knowledge of key Industry trends and technologies in the chatbot space.
- Experience building Chatbots or virtual assistants using Dialog flow, Microsoft Bot Framework or in any popular Bot Building frameworks is a Must.
- Knowledge on IVR based application platforms and Conversational IVR.
- Knowledge and experience of key machine learning and deep learning frameworks and commercial technologies/platforms.
- Knowledge of classical ML and Deep Learning Models, and libraries like scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch is a Plus
- Proficient in Database design and solid understanding of RDBMS/no-SQL/Elastic clusters
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years