Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, California
- Who are we?
We are the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) team at eBay, responsible for bringing external traffic to eBay. Our team loves to solve SEO problems the engineering way using the latest technologies. We build large scale systems and frameworks serving billion requests a day; internal tools to gain better insights into SEO; and research on complex data problems. Our work has a direct business impact and helps eBay grow user base.
We are dynamic, versatile and always eager to take on new problems as we continue to build next generation systems and grow the business.
We’re looking for the highest levels of technical talent and programming skills, as well as a keen desire to deeply understand our products and services to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, and scalability.
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity, join us and invent the next generation of ecommerce.
What will you do?
Must be able to independently lead (not manage) feature teams to architect, design, deliver and operate mission critical systems with high quality. These systems need to be highly available (99.9% availability), scalable (100’s of millions of users every day), and reliable and cost efficient. Expected to deliver consistently with little supervision
• Be the guardian of our code base. Guide the team to establish the right architecture, design patterns, coding styles, testability etc. for the code base owned by the team. You will be expected to define these practices for the team, coach other junior developers to drive adoption and help the managers enforce compliance. You will have the opportunity as well as the responsibility to be one of the key engineers defining eBay architecture.
• Collaborate effectively with other software engineers, designers, user experience researchers, quality assurance, product management, and operations.
• Ability to develop strong relationships across levels and functional groups
• Utilize customer feedback, business & operational metrics, and knowledge of technology to come up with new innovations.
• Make business cases for architectural or feature innovation.
• Help refine product requirements to get to best trade-off between scope, schedule, and effort required.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
- Expertise required in object-oriented design methodology and large scale application development in Java (or any other object oriented language)
- Excellent understanding of distributed systems and service oriented architecture
- Proven results-oriented person with a focus on delivery in a high-velocity, high-scalability and high-availability environment.
- Should be able to lead a small team
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn new technologies and dig into problems
- Good communication skills
- NoSQL databases experience is a plus
- Large scale data processing experience using Hadoop, etc. is a plus
- Familiarity with eCommerce is a plus
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years