Software Engineer 3, Backend
San Jose, California
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage, and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose-driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Who are we?
We are the Buyer Growth team in Shopping Experience Org. Our team owns critical products like Home page, Global header, Myebay, Coupons and various other engagement experiences. We drive billions of dollars in revenue via millions of page views delivered daily across the globe, across all devices & browsers. Our team is highly visible in the organization, has direct business impact to eBay’s top line revenue and has customer impact globally. What we work on here impacts the lives of millions every day. Performance, accuracy, scalability and availability are paramount.
We’re looking for the highest levels of technical talent and programming skills, keen desire to deeply understand our products and services, innovate and push technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, and scalability. Our teams are based in San Jose, California. Like everything else at eBay, we build scalable and highly-available systems for the millions of users that depend on us to conduct their businesses.
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity, join us and invent the next generation of eCommerce.
What will you do?
- Define, design, and implement complex, multi-tier distributed software systems scaling beyond 1B requests/day and focused on improving buyer experience at eBay
- Technical lead for new and existing product initiatives, assist with definition of product direction
- Play a key role in building our new buying infrastructure from scratch
- Push the bar to solve complex technical challenges of scale and performance
- Partner effectively and influence peers, juniors and seniors both within the organization and across eBay
- Large scale data processing to understand user behavior and help define new product features
- Estimate engineering effort, plan execution cycles, and rollout system changes
- 5+ years of work experience or MS in Computer Science plus 3 years of experience
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
- Expertise required in object-oriented design methodology and large scale application development in Java (or any other object oriented language)
- Excellent understanding of distributed systems and service oriented architecture
- Proven results-oriented person with a focus on delivery in a high-velocity, high-scalability and high-availability environment.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn new technologies and dig into problems
- Good communication skills
- NoSQL databases experience is a plus
- Large scale data processing experience using Hadoop, etc. is a plus
- Familiarity with eCommerce is a plus
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years