Software Engineer, MTS 1
San Jose, California
Do you have what it takes to build and operate a world-class search engine that serves over a billion queries a day? You will work in a fast paced team responsible for building tools and coming up with innovative solutions to manage the Search Cluster comprising several tens of thousands of servers.
Define and develop tools for configuration management and perform software deployments to the search cluster. Develop automated scripts for continuous integration and building packages to be deployed to the search clusters. Collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and Operations teams and the platform team to develop strategic and tactical solutions like "lights out management" of the cluster. Build tools to identify, manage and troubleshoot problems in the cluster.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 5+ years experience as a Unix Systems Administrator, configuration management, or a DevOps/Tools Engineer.
- Strong Linux system-level administration level expertise and network analysis skills.
- Strong knowledge in one or more scripting languages in Perl or Python. Including knowledge of Unix shell.
- Proven troubleshooting skills and ability to understand complex large scale systems from a reliability point of view.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to drive issue resolution and root cause identification with the various teams.
- Must be flexible, adaptable, and able to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly to peers, customers and management while providing feedback to Development/QE.
- Docker, Kubernetes, container creation and deployment understanding a plus.
- Strong self-driven and motivated engineer who is passionate about automations of jobs and tasks in general.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem-solver 10
- Quick-thinking 9
- Creative 8
- Productive 7
- Courageous 6
- Team Player 5
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years