UX and Design Lead, GumtreeSydney, Australia Requisition Number R0029672 Subsidiary Gumtree
Who we are
Gumtree is Australia’s local marketplace connecting buyers and sellers in the local community to buy, sell and find just about everything – from furniture and homewares, to cars and clothing, electronics and business services, and jobs and real estate. There are more than 3 million listings across hundreds of categories and 95,000 new ads are listed each day.
Gumtree launched in Australia in 2007 and is part of eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) – a global collection of brands. Our purpose is to empower people and create economic opportunities for all.
Who you are
You’re someone who can architect the future of UX at Gumtree through a clear vision and can create simplicity from underlying complex tasks. You can inspire teams to go beyond what is possible and pursue forward thinking design to create products that enrich people’s lives. You have a passion for data and can drill down to identify areas that will drive customer and business benefit.
As the UX & Design leader, you’ll apply your passion for all things design to guide research, experimentation and design processes. You can collaborate with leaders in product, engineering, analytics, sales and customers service to create best in class experiences across all of Gumtree’s products.
What we’re looking for
In this role you’ll be expected to grow a small team of highly skilled designers, UX specialists, and product analysts, as well as work closely with our design agency and other eCG business units across the globe. You’ll be able to inspire your team to drive towards innovative solutions based on a ‘hands on’ customer discovery approach. As the leader of the User Experience Team, you’ll articulate a user experience vision that works across all of Gumtree’s products. You’ll be able to coach and mentor your team to bring the best out of them.
- Help shape Gumtree’s product vision that will empower the lives of millions of Australians
- Define and drive the UX vision and own the evolution of user experience, architecture, and interaction
- Build a strong design culture and empower team with efficient processes and tools
- Oversea our product analysts and drive an experimentation mindset
- Champion the user voice and lead internal dialogue around best practices in experience design
- Oversee all phases of the design process across teams: research/experimentation, conceptual design, prototypes, visual design and usability testing
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver a world-class customer experience and act in a hands-on product/UX design position when required
- Summarise key user insights from a number of sources, i.e. internal data, research, NPS, customer support, app ratings, competitor offering…
- Identify and monitor digital trends and bring these findings into your work
- Articulate design rationale as a means to balance business goals and user needs
- Attract, mentor and retain great talent and be the key point of contact for AU UX and design across eCG and help drive learnings across the group
- Currently working as a Lead UX Designer or at least 5 x years as a Senior
- You will be able to show at least three substantial UX strategic projects demonstrating your approach, methodologies and speak about with compelling confidence
- Good problem-solving capabilities and an analytical mind with a focus on customer centred design
- Demonstrate persuasive written, visual and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent management and leadership skills, including great success stories of mentoring and coaching team members
- Experience of designing for multiple contexts including mobile, desktop and tablet
- Proven track record of delivering outstanding customer experiences
- Comfortable working in an agile environment and an advocate of lean UX principles
- Ability to influence senior leaders and facilitate meetings at all levels within our organisation
- Exceptional intellectual curiosity, a passion for problem solving and comfortable working w/ ambiguity
What we offer
An exciting work environment with interdisciplinary teams
- A great atmosphere and open company culture
- Lots of room for your own creative ideas
- Modern office in Sydney CBD
- Overseas travel opportunities
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: