Java DeveloperAmsterdam, Netherlands Requisition Number R0030909 Subsidiary eBay Classifieds Group
eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to reach out to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group already has a presence and in prospective markets.
We are growing and developing our core communication platform, planning improvements and delivering functionality on time and with quality. You will be solving real-world technical and scaling issues on a regular basis. You are an innovative thinker who can visualize/evangelize within the team about the strengths of your approach and carry your team members with you. Solving complex problems needs to be your passion and you will strive for simplicity and maintainability on all levels - not just in code.
You have a flexible and innovative mindset, balanced by solid experience in building a scalable service.
Working part-time is negotiable, minimum is 32h.
To achieve your task, you will have the help of some colleagues. Together with them, you will perform code reviews and provide guidance and assistance for other team members when needed. You see large refactorings of an existing codebase as a challenge for making things simpler. You understand the risk of your changes and can balance it against other constraints. You can see the need for changing priorities when the situation requires it and act on it. You initiate design discussions with other team members, present potential solutions to your peers, and understand the true costs and benefits of technologies you introduce. You like to work with the latest technologies, such as Kubernetes and Java 11.
- Are an innovative thinker who can work within a team visualizing and creating integrated communications within our product offering.
- Implement a complex, distributed and highly available communication service as part of a high performing team.
- Work with your development lead, other developers, product managers, QA, and operation teams to develop solutions that meet the service requirements and deliver good performance, scalability, and reliability.
- Estimate your development efforts, plan implementations, and rollout system changes within an agile/lean environment.
- Meet realistic implementation schedules and adhere to development goals and principles.
- Share release management duties during feature rollouts.
- Will partake in an on-call rotation.
- Develop industry and product technical expertise.
We’re looking for:
- 2+ years’ experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, fault-tolerant applications for the Internet.
- Experience or interest in developing highly available services.
- You have strong Java skills. Knowing Go or willing to learn it is needed.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Prefer experience with REST, JSON, Linux, Elastic Search and Git.
- High expectations in own work and deliveries.
- High commitment and engagement.
- Proven results-oriented person with a delivery focus in a high velocity, high quality environment.
- Preferably a degree in Computer Sciences or comparable topic.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organized, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams;
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person;
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Java, Kotlin, Node.js, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and more in a fast-evolving Microservices architecture;
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more);
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eBay Classifieds Group in trending topics like Machine Learning, AI, DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others;
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work.
What we offer:
- Dynamic, international teams with very skilled personalities, a real passion for e-commerce, professionalism and a good sense of humor.
- A competitive salary, phenomenal benefits and an excellent working environment.
- Silicon Valley amenities, such as iPhones and MacBook Pros, crazy high spec dev machines and very nice office facilities.
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then apply and send us your CV. For more information, you can contact Radboud Fluttert, Recruiting
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: