Hadoop Software Engineer
San Jose, California
We are part of the Analytics Data Platform Team within eBay, working with a mission towards enhancing availability, security, performance, tools and other features within Analytics Platform, specifically on Hadoop.
We are looking for talented engineers who have a real passion for building and shipping great software especially with open source products and leading and contributing to transformational projects around Hadoop and related products. You will be responsible for developing features and frameworks with the focus on scenarios over Hadoop, Spark, and Databases. eBay has one of the largest Hadoop Deployments in the world with over 18500+ nodes and 500+ Petabytes of configured storage. Desirable backgrounds would include strong Java development with technical experience on Big Data stack, with passion for innovating in and around Big Data ecosystems.
The Cool Part :
- Be part of the mission to contribute into and pave the path for the next generation Hadoop Platform at eBay.
- Work in small groups of extremely talented and dedicated engineers in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Design and implement differentiated production-grade features related to security, high availability, and multi-tenancy.
- Contribute to open source projects while delivering value to eBay
- Lead and participate in the design and implementation of our Analytics infrastructure to align with the vision of eBay Platform Infrastructure.
- Focus on innovative ideas to drive the future of open source technology for patent filing and open source community contribution.
- Design and implement technical solutions to support the ecosystem of Analytics Infrastructure.
- Work with a team of engineering expertise to design and develop innovative technical solutions.
Job Requirements :
- Proven successful track record of 3+ years of software engineering design and development experience with a strong background working with open source technology.
- Strong development skills in Java with commensurate abilities in designing performance, scalability, concurrency, and extensibility.
- Have passion and strong engineering background in dealing with big data in the e-Commerce industry.
- Excellent background in computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skill on both defect and performance issue resolution.
- Proven result oriented individual with the delivery focus in a high velocity, high-quality environment.
- Experience in Hadoop ecosystems such as Hadoop, Spark, HBase, Hive, etc.
Basic Qualifications :
- Master Degree in Computer Science or a bachelor’s degree with significant relevant experience is required
- 3+ years related work experience
- Strong Java development experience
- Good Linux and networking knowledge
- Disciplined work style requiring minimum supervision
- Strong technical and large systems design skills
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written interpersonal skills
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years