Technical Duty OfficerAustin, Texas Requisition Number R0034469 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of. You’ll work alongside the best and the brightest engineering talent in the industry. If you are dynamic, reciprocal, and curious as we build new experiences, improve existing products, and develop distributed systems powering the world’s largest e-commerce websites at a scale few companies can match. eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world’s largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection.
- eBay is seeking an Incident Manager, Systems administrator, or Site Reliability engineer that will be responsible for Technical Incident Management of key production systems and services. eBay provides an ecommerce platform used by millions of people around the world. As a Technical Duty Officer (‘TDO’) at eBay your work will help ensure that the services that power the eBay platform are available and reliable.
- The TDO is the senior technical resource in the eBay operations center, and during unexpected outages is responsible for quickly assessing technical and business impact, and determining recovery options. During these incidents, TDOs will work with cross-organizational technical teams to build and execute mitigation plans. eBay TDOs are passionate about technology and have deep understanding of infrastructure and highly-scaled systems.
- As an eBay TDO your responsibilities will include:
- Maintain complete awareness of the health of eBay's critical services, identifying potential issues, and working with the eBay SRE team and other teams to solve these issues before they cause impact to users or the business.
- When unexpected outages occur, collaborate with various technical teams at eBay to determine the best course of action for solving the problem. In many cases, the TDO will directly execute mitigation actions.
- Work with Architecture, Engineering, and Operations teams to develop creative solutions to attain high site availability and reliability.
- Improve monitoring and tooling used to detect and mitigate site incidents.
- Supply to incident documentation, communications to management, suggestions on prevention and reliability, and involvement with post-mortem discussions.
- Conduct audits, tests and drills to strengthen eBay’s reliability, and incident management capabilities.
- As TDO, you will also help handle emergency change requests, and will help oversee certain complex maintenance activities.
To be successful in this position at eBay you will need:
- A B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5+ years experience with highly-scaled internet/server environments.
- Familiarity with common IT technologies such as: virtualized servers, containers, data centers, networking, database and storage, DNS, load balancers, network security and high availability.
- Excellent Incident Management skills, and strong leadership abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Sharp technical triage and analytical skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Scripting and/or software development ability.
- Note that this position is for our Austin TX location, and is for a graveyard shift. Also note that a graveyard differential will be paid.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: