Distinguished Architect - RiskSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0037209 Subsidiary eBay
At eBay, you will be part of a purpose-driven community dedicated to creating an ambitious and versatile work environment. In eBay Payments, you will be an integral member of a growing organization that inspires passion, courage, and inventiveness - creating the future of global commerce and making an important, positive impact on millions of eBay sellers and shoppers around the world. If you are looking for a special place to take your Payments career to the next level, we want to talk with you.
eBay Payments inspires passion, courage and inventiveness - and Payments Technology is at the core of payments done well. Technology is evolving quickly with consumers demanding frictionless experiences more and more. We’re already starting to see the commerce industry being shaped by more seamless and automated payment experiences. That means a shift in how we authenticate payments.
The Payments Technology team is comprised of highly motivated, creative engineers tasked with leading this charge by shaping eBay’s managed payments technology, applying emerging technologies to help construct the safest, most seamless payment's network in the world. The DistinguishedRisk Architect will partner with internal teams to create new systems to model, detect and reduce risk and fraud. These applications include the on-boarding experience for sellers who sign up, real-time estimation of transaction risk using rules and models, and various interventions and actions as a result of the risk assessment. This is a unique opportunity to ensure the seller experience is as seamless as possible, that all the relevant information is available in a standard place for rule and model evaluation, and that the resulting actions are as effective as possible.
As such, the Distinguished Risk Architect must operate on the forefront of applied AI and process automation. This includes existing systems for seller risk management as well as new systems for transaction risk management. As eBay builds these new capabilities, it also is using third-party vendors for risk evaluation, giving the team time to ensure new systems are built on a solid foundation for the future. While ensuring quality, compliance, availability and security, there is plenty of room to innovate in areas such as: device fingerprinting and bot detection; rapid customer identity verification; streaming data processing/analytics; support for machine learning model development; and anomaly detection. The role is based in San Jose, California.
We are looking for hardworking, highly motivated, hands-on engineers who lead by example and embody engineering excellence. These high performing individuals have collaboration skills, desire to effect change and the ability to work across multiple commerce domains and software disciplines to achieve the Payments Technology team’s vision. This is a hands-on position, requiring research, analysis, design, proposal, and delivery of solutions appropriate to our business and technology strategies. The Architect will play a diverse and far-reaching role in the organization, providing leadership and influencing adoption of technical solutions, strategies and design patterns across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Define a technology strategy for risk that combines long term investments and short term continuous delivery of business value.
- Prioritize higher risk technology investments, keeping current with academic and industry innovation.
- Collaborate with university research groups.
- Conceive, design and implement innovative systems and solutions to address complex business and technology problems. The solutions must be secure, resilient and performant. Build on eBay’s open-source presence by contributing solutions that solve well-known problems to the open-source community.
- Research, assess, recommend or develop technologies applied in the context of eBay’s Marketplace product requirements. Build prototypes and convince businesses of the benefits of the new technologies. Contribute to eBay’s patent portfolio.
- Deep subject matter expertise of concepts, products and technologies in one or more e-commerce domains with the ability to apply the expertise to set technical direction and drive improvements to our products.
- Provide Internal and External training and education which includes participation in external forums (developer conferences, tech conferences) as speakers.
- Provide hands-on technical and thought leadership across development, product management, operations and engineering management through effective communication. Actively develop mentoring relationships across teams to help engineers further their careers.
- Domain expertise managing risk: financial risk; compliance; and counter-fraud.
- Experience deploying artificial intelligence/machine learning in customer facing applications at massive scale.
- Proven track record of engineering excellence including continuous delivery of high quality, massively scaled, innovative software.
- Strong technical and product vision and the ability to communicate this vision to multiple audiences.
- Demonstrated background in modeling software systems and excellent programming skills
- Strong skills for verbal & written communication targeting technical and non-technical audiences.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to autonomously lead multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, iterative development environment with short turnaround times.
- Self-motivated, passionate for technology, and strong driver for results and continual improvement.
- Team player - work well independently and in multi-group cross-discipline environment.
- BS/MS in CS with 15 or more years in software engineering, design and architecture.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: