Senior Software Engineer, Back End
San Jose, California
We are a company that encourages passion, courage and creativity, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce. Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay. eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers globally, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world’s largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering extraordinary value and unique selection.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Expertise required in object-oriented design methodology and large scale application development in Java (or any other object oriented language)
- Excellent knowledge in practicing OOAD, architectural and design patterns, open source platforms, frameworks, technologies and software engineering methodologies.
- Develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and alignment to development goals and principles
- Participate in all aspects of PDLC including requirement/design reviews as well as code reviews.
- Create testing harness/infrastructure/test cases/Automation geared towards ensuring quality of the product
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes
- Lead product initiatives, recommend improvements, mentor and guide junior team members
- Identify project risks and work efficiently to mitigate them
- Share release management duties on feature rollouts,
- Develop industry and product technical expertise
- Find and help fix stability/scalability issues in a very time critical environment
- Experience must include the following: Java, J2EE, SOA services, Design Patterns, Object Oriented Concepts, Data Structures, XML, Web technologies and internet protocols (5+ yrs);
- Database driven application development such as Oracle, SQL or schema design (5+ yr.); XML Schemas, HTML, AJAX, SOA: SOAP/RESTful Services.
- Good understanding of web services and SOA related standards like REST/OAuth/JSON (4+ yr)
- Knowledge of Windows and UNIX development environment, source code management and bug tracking;
- Java application debugging and DB performance issues; IBM WebSphere or other J2EE application servers, such as: IDE.
- A portfolio or work samples demonstrating coding skills (e.g. links to GitHub repository from open source contributions).
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Degree in computer science/engineering or equivalent professional experience.
- Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of experience or Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience
- Billing experience a plus
Here at eBay, we love building opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years