MTS 2, Software Engineer
San Jose, California
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
eBay’s Media Platform team builds and runs petabyte scale distributed storage platform that powers large scale storage and media use cases. In addition to the billions of images we store and serve, we are investing heavily to create a new video storage and serving platform. We use a combination of internal engineering innovation and external open source technologies to build our always available platforms. The work in this team spans engineering design, implementation and operations for distributed storage, transcoding, streaming, edge-caching, CDN and related uploading and serving capabilities.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer. You will be a core part of the engineering team that builds one of the most critical systems powering eBay’s global eCommerce business. You will be designing, implementing, testing & scaling this large media platform by working closely with peer engineers, customers, and product managers.
- Design, build, test and deploy software components for a highly available and large distributed system.
- Perform development and operational tasks to maintain uptime & reliability SLAs of the platform.
- Consistently deliver high-quality and on-time product releases and deploy to production.
- Collaborate with product management, customers, peer teams and engineers.
- Participate in and/or lead engineering discussions, technical evaluations, design reviews and other project discussions.
- Follow internal Quality and Reliability engineering processes to meet or exceed established standards.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of work experience in software design and implementation, ideally in large scale, 24x7 high performance distributed systems.
- Expertise in object-oriented design and backend software development using Java (preferred), C++, or similar technologies.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and distributed systems.
- Experience with agile development methodologies in an iterative development environment.
- Experience using open source technologies and/or contributing to open source software.
- Proven track record with understanding requirements and translate them into high quality engineering work.
- Proactive and upbeat engineer with a strong bias for action.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills and attention to detail.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years