Principal MTS, Head of EngineeringSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0018805 Subsidiary eBay
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Do you want to be part of the team that architects the industry’s most powerful and innovative e-commerce technology stack?
eBay’s Core Product Technology team is embarking on an exciting journey to transform itself and is determined to revolutionize the future of the e-commerce landscape.
Are you the kind that simply loves ALL kinds of technologies and wants things to “just work the right way”?
Are you the kind that lives and breathes creating “artistic” code and engineering designs that exude quality and inspire others?
The SWAT team is looking for folks who live and breathe coding and debugging complex problems across a range of technology stacks. Not only do you get to go in and out of complex systems and space, you get to build software systems that use AI to help humans with these problems - machines and humans working together!
Curious and excited now?
For the technologists out there - your playground is going to be technologies ranging from cloud computing infrastructure and platforms such as OpenStack, Docker, Kubernetes, Networking, Linux and DevOps to Big Data (Hadoop and Teradata) to machine learning algorithms, data sciences and search engines to application cloud services built on Java, C++, Scala/Akka, Ruby, Node.js, Go, Python to mobile applications and business entity e-commerce systems and more.
So what is it going to take for you to be part of this SWAT team of world class engineers?
You need to be that expert who first and foremost - is the coder of coders, the debugger of debuggers and lives and breathes building quality systems and enhancing quality so that systems always work!
You should be a “software forensics scientist” at heart - unafraid to get into complex code, debug complex interactions and systems and quickly figure out why they’re not working.
You are the kind that likes learning new tech and working with multiple teams of technologists in order to understand and improve first, but then later develop best practices and patterns and up level others and their software and diagnostics quality.
You need to share and develop patterns of writing great quality software and help others do the same.
Finally - you need to be the engineer of engineers who designs and codes up systems for debug/diagnosis failures at a megascale to help humans in causality isolation but then - look to the future and integrate AI techniques to predict, prevent and take correction actions.
You’re the engineer who will help build “auto-detect-and-healing” systems!
- Management and Leadership
- Building a world class team of software engineers skilled in diagnostics, software forensics and building diagnostic tools and systems
- Building and refining operational processes to prevent customer software issues
- Defining, executing and communicating team plans with all Core Product Technology teams and eBay leadership
- Individual Contributor
- Exercises leadership in techniques and creative methodologies for diagnostic tool development
- Mentors less experienced engineers on fault isolation tools and methods
- Collaborates with engineers and other senior architects for Design for Testability, Quality Frameworks, DevOps and Data driven designs and engineering patterns and behaviors
- Explores, evaluates and develops new advances diagnostic tools and methods
- Develops tools for debug and diagnosis system function failures as well as failure analysis
- Demonstrates ability to turn innovative ideas into new and improved diagnostic tools and methodologies
- Proven leadership in building and leading small but very high talent deep technical teams
- Proven leadership in driving big changes throughout organizations around engineering excellence, quality, diagnostics, operational success, and devops
- Proven leadership in collaborating and influencing other senior leaders to “just do the right thing” while develop best practices and uplifting all those involved
- Leads by example - is looked up to and acts has acted
- Strongly self-aware - always looking to improve themselves and develop the teams (and virtual teams) they lead
- Driven by strong values of honesty, integrity and transparency in everything that they do
Individual Contributor Requirements:
- Proven hands on expertise in building micro service based architectures and platforms that support virtualization, scale, security, availability, performance and automation - deployed at scale. Experience with Docker and Kubernetes a plus.
- Strong track record of engineering excellence including continuous delivery of high quality, massively scaled, innovative software. Expertise in Test-Driven Development and establishing a DevOps practice are a plus.
- Domain expertise in one or more e-commerce or cloud infrastructure services. Expertise in either marketing or e-commerce billing is a plus.
- Well understood distributed and ecommerce processing systems, operating systems, system debuggers, micro-service architectures and applications development skills
- Excellent in collaborative environment and able to lead a development team.
- Strong skills for verbal & written communication targeting technical and non-technical audiences
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to autonomously manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, iterative development environment with short turnaround times.
- Self-motivated, passionate for technology, and strong driver for results and continual improvement.
- Management Leadership
- BS/MS in CS with 15 or more years in software engineering, design and architecture.
- 10+ years minimum of real-world Leadership experience building world class global teams of top notch engineers who excel in coding, debugging and diagnostics experiences in high scale distributed micro-service architectures
- Hands On (Individual Contributor) Leadership
- Experience with code analysis (dissecting features, looking at code flow in IDA, stepping through program execution with a debugger, examining system internals)
- Experience at analyzing and mining very large data sets by using existing utilities and writing new tools if needed
- Experience with at least one high scale data storage/database system (preferably experience with relational and no-relational databases)
View our accessibility infoR0018805
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or long term unemployment circumstances. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.