Big Data Engineer
San Jose, California
Join the Search Science team at eBay!
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you will be proud to be a part of.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or Bachelor's degree with 2 years of experience.
- Expert in data structures, algorithms and distributed systems.
- Hands-on experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Akka, or Scalding
- Working knowledge of languages like Scala or Python, and ability to pick up other languages such as Java, C++, or R as needed.
- Demonstrated experience leveraging data mining techniques to process large scale data and assemble complex, high quality datasets.
- Experience with applied statistics and machine learning a plus.
- You are versatile and can work both autonomously and collaboratively in a team environment.
- You are innovative and creative. You enjoy thinking through open ended problems, and figuring out how to use data-driven approaches to come up with solutions that satisfy the constraints of real-world systems at large scale.
- You are a life-long learner. You have an interest in new technologies in the realm of both research and software engineering. You have a passion for investigating new technologies and are open to considering novel ideas and approaches to problems.
- You are inherently curious. You care about how the problems you tackle fit into the big picture.
- You take initiative and ownership of your work, and drive the end-to-end implementation from conceptualization, to design and implementation.
- You are passionate about your work making an impact on the product.
About the Role
- Responsible for improving eBay’s search algorithms.
- You will be designing and building robust and efficient data pipelines that process petabytes of user behavior data and produce high quality training data for Machine Learning algorithms.
- Conceptualize, code, deploy, and iterate on designs from prototypes all the way through to production systems.
- Provide technical expertise in large scale distributed system design, architecture, coding standards, unit testing, and automation.
- Work jointly with applied scientists, QE, platform and operations teams to deliver complex applications.
- Focus on our biggest opportunities in search, work with applied scientists to convert them into problem statements, and then develop end-to-end solutions.
- Directly see the results of your work powering the experience of eBay’s core search platform across the globe.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem-solver 10
- Quick-thinking 9
- Creative 8
- Productive 7
- Courageous 6
- Team Player 5
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years