Head of Data Science & EngineeringSan Francisco, California Requisition Number R0024515 Subsidiary StubHub
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
ORGANIZATION: StubHub, www.stubhub.com (an eBay company NASDAQ: EBAY)
StubHub’s purpose is to connect people to inspiring event experiences. We connect fans with their favorite teams, shows and artists and introduce them to the ones they'll love next. As the largest ticket marketplace in the world, we enable fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of events, whenever they want, through our desktop and mobile experiences, including our StubHub app for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Android. Offering a superior fan experience at its core, StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. Our industry firsts include the introduction of the first ticketing application, the first interactive seat mapping tool and the first live entertainment rewards program, Fan Rewards™. Our business partners include more than 130 properties in MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NCAA, plus AEG, AXS and Spectra Ticketing & Fan Engagement. With the acquisition of Ticketbis in August 2016, throughout the world, StubHub provides the total end-to-end event going experience. StubHub is an eBay company (NASDAQ: EBAY). For more information on StubHub, visit StubHub.com or follow @StubHub on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or YouTube.com/StubHub.
StubHub One – We act as one team in pursuit of connecting people through inspiring event experiences.
At StubHub, we are:
Driven – We strive for excellence – constantly improving our game
Courageous – We are bold & not afraid to challenge the status quo
Inventive – We see what others don’t & pioneer new paths
Richly Diverse – We recognize & respect everyone as a unique individual
Brand – We experience the world through StubHub
HEAD OF DATA SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Data Science is at the center of countless changes to our everyday life. We are looking for a dynamic, customer-focused, data science and machine learning leader who is interested in pioneering how data can be used to re-invent the customer experience globally and transform the live event business at StubHub, the world’s largest event marketplace.
StubHub is transforming the way we leverage platforms and engineering to harness the power of data and data science teams to re-invent the customer experience and grow our business. This transformation is underway and involves a dramatic change to the technology we use to build the platform, the way we build software and the way we leverage data for analysis and experimentation. As we, accelerate our move to cloud and increase the autonomy of product and service teams, our use of data and artificial intelligence will differentiate our products and change the game for customers with a direct impact to the top and bottom line.
Understanding and predicting the experience economy is rapidly becoming a data science. There is an ongoing explosion in the amount and quality of social, behavioral and e-commerce data driven by the adoption of mobile, cloud and the evolving internet of things. These data sets will be transformative to understanding our customer ecosystem (e.g., Buyers, Sellers, Teams, Artists and Performers, Developers) and our global business.
This role will work closely with senior management and manage teams that produce metrics, data, models and strategic analyses. This is not a research only role. As the leader of the Data Science team, you and your global team of data scientists and software engineers will create one of the most valuable and intriguing big data environments. Imagine building technology that enables search to think like humans, power visual search and listening for social, voice activation, visual recognition, increased personalization across devices, chatbots, virtual agents, deep learning to power conversations with the internet of things and beyond. At the core, pricing optimization, demand prediction, supply prediction, marketplace design, risk mitigation, fraud detection, customer service and technical operations are also capabilities we aim to transform as part of our focus on data.
The head of data science and engineering will be visible as an industry thought leader inside and outside the company. Deriving these insights requires careful and rigorous analysis that often goes considerably beyond existing methods. You will lead the development of new data analysis and machine learning algorithms to extract insights from data that is being produced by our internal science teams, our collaborators, and by other parties (e.g., publicly available databases). You will also collaborate with our scientists to design new experiments that can provide valuable insights relevant to our mission.
You should be passionate about working with huge datasets and be someone who loves to bring data together to answer complex business questions that deepen our understanding of our customers. You will lead the development of statistical and machine learning models and work closely with our engineering team to implement analytically intensive solutions designed to improve the success of the StubHub business and delight our customers who are a marketplace of buyers, sellers and event creators. You will contribute to the company’s intellectual property and will be accountable for the quality, accuracy, and adoption of the analytical solutions your team develops.
The ideal leader will deal with highly ambiguous problems, take responsibility for finding solutions, and will drive towards simple solutions to complex problems. You will also proactively drive analyses that will lead to deeper insights and recommendations. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must, as well as the ability to earn trust with partners and diverse teams around the globe. This role requires an individual with excellent team leadership skills, outstanding business acumen, and the ability to work across Product Management, Marketing, Engineering, Finance, and Content teams, as well as country specific business leads to drive business outcomes. We are looking for a leader who is a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, demonstrates strong attention to detail, and has the ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Experience managing a team of Applied Scientists who develop robust and scalable Machine Learning models to solve business and customer problems.
- Working with functional business leaders to build scalable processes and metrics.
- Developing a long term analytical strategy and driving the implementation of that strategy.
- Using analytics to influence multiple departments, increasing their productivity and effectiveness to achieve strategic goals.
- Create and deliver reporting, critical for tracking and managing the business, including weekly, monthly, and quarterly operational metric reports.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Operations Research, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a closely related quant field. More than 10 years of industrial/academic experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning, search or personalization-related problems, and large scale simulation.
- Experience in managing and quantifying improvement in multiple business areas resulting from analytics, optimization techniques, and/or statistical modeling.
- Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs and proven achievements in industrial production systems.
- Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
- Ability to attach complex business questions with data and curiosity to dive deep, identifying the root cause and “so what” rather than just the trends.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is tasked with providing data-driven decision support and business intelligence that is timely, accurate and actionable.
- Ability to effective prioritize projects, manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously and drive projects to completion under tight deadlines
- Proven track record of strong verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams across the world.
- Ability to think big, understand business strategy, provide consultative business analysis, and leverage technical skills to create insightful, effective BI solutions
- Experience with customer segmentation and customer behavior analysis.
- Hands on experience in SQL, Linux and OLAP, SAS, R and/or Python (data extraction, manipulation, statistical analysis and predictive modeling).
- Authoritative experience with a wide variety of supervised and unsupervised Machine Learning methodologies, including decision trees/random forests, all regression methods including logistic regression and ALS, SVM, Neural Nets/TensorFlow, and kMeans, kNN, and other clustering methods, Text Mining, etc.
- Experience with data visualization software.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
Not ready to apply yet? Email this job to yourself