Data Scientist/Applied Researcher
San Jose, California
Looking for a company that encourages passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team crafting the future of global commerce? Want to craft how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re passionate about joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science or related technical field with 5+ years of experience working on search ranking and machine learning.
- Well versed in areas such as applied statistics, machine learning, natural language processing, and data mining.
- A leader. You have years of experience mentoring junior researchers and developing a concept to a product.
- Proficient with distributed systems like Hadoop and SPARK. You’re not necessarily an expert, but you have experience processing large datasets in such frameworks.
- A polyglot programmer. You probably have a favorite language like Scala, Python or R but you can jump in and write some Java or C as needed.
- Results oriented. Research is phenomenal but at the end of the day you want to see your creation live and breathe.
- Join the Search Science team at eBay!
- Be directly responsible for improving search recall and ranking via query understanding and machine learned ranking models that power the end-end search experience at eBay.
- Showcase the spectrum of value in the world’s most diverse ecommerce inventory, by improving whole page relevance, query recommendations, spell corrections, synonym/acronym expansions, and query rewrites.
- Conceptualize, code, deploy, and iterate on designs from prototypes all the way through to production systems.
- Analyze petabytes of real-world behavioral data to understand patterns and trends.
- Transform data insights into actionable reports, targeting algorithms, and model features.
- Provide technical leadership in statistical analysis, data mining, machine learning, NLP, and information retrieval.
- Work jointly with architecture, engineering, quality engineering, and operations teams to deliver complex applications.
- Focus on our biggest opportunities in search, convert them into applied science problem statements, and then develop end-to-end solutions.
- Directly see the results of your applied research improving and powering the experience of eBay’s core search platform across the globe.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem-solver 10
- Quick-thinking 9
- Creative 8
- Productive 7
- Courageous 6
- Team Player 5
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years