Sr. Data Science ManagerSan Francisco, California Requisition Number R0025038 Subsidiary StubHub
Position: Senior Data Science Manager
Position ID: R0025038
Location: San Francisco, CA
Organization: StubHub, www.stubhub.com (an eBay company NASDAQ: EBAY)
StubHub is the world's largest ticket marketplace, enabling fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of sports, concert, theater and other live entertainment events. StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. The company's unique online marketplace, dedicated solely to tickets, provides all fans the choice to buy or sell their tickets in a safe, convenient and highly reliable environment. All transactions are processed and delivered by StubHub and backed by the company's FanProtect Guarantee™ processing a ticket every second today with billions of ticket sales each year globally. Company partners MLB, AEG, ESPN and many leading teams such as the San Francisco Giants and University of Texas, along with over 60 other teams in MLB, NBA, NHL and NCAA.
StubHub One – We act as one team in pursuit of connecting people through inspiring event experiences.
At StubHub, we are:
Driven – We strive for excellence – constantly improving our game
Courageous – We are bold & not afraid to challenge the status quo
Inventive – We see what others don’t & pioneer new paths
Richly Diverse – We recognize & respect everyone as a unique individual
Brand – We experience the world through StubHub
StubHub, an eBay company, is the world’s leading online tickets marketplace providing fans a safe, convenient place to get tickets to the games, concerts, and theater shows they want to see, and an easy way to sell their tickets when they can't go.
We are seeking an extraordinary, authoritative Data Science leader to head the Data Science function at StubHub. The scope of this role is comprehensive responsibility of all things Data Science at StubHub.
Your impact will have a large measurable impact on StubHub’s bottom line. In this role, you will lead the team to develop, improve, and test algorithms to address business needs in personalized recommendations, fraud detection, and ticket recommendations, as well as other applications of Data Science as they arise. You will work with our SW Development team to ensure the scaled production algorithms replicated and maintained in the “factory” deliver maximum fidelity to those you and you team developed in the “lab”.
You and your team will also advise on, or directly design, controlled experiments on a wide variety of marketing and product alternatives.
You will run the current Data Science staff and grow it over time, maintaining a high standard of rigor that gains StubHub competitive advantage by going beyond mere exercise of machine learning and multivariate statistical techniques to a deep understanding of the underlying drivers of the phenomena you discover in the data.
The role is based in StubHub’s San Francisco headquarters. It reports to the Head of Data & Analytics for StubHub and sits side-by-side with our integrated Data Development, Analytics, and Reporting functions.
- Lead the Data Science team, which is responsible for developing empirically-based algorithms that can be scaled for applications in Fraud Detection, Personalization, Ticket Recommendations, and other high-return-on-effort applications as needed.
- Inspire your direct reports to continually develop and apply skills relevant to the space, including machine learning and statistical modeling techniques and Python programming skills on Apache Spark, as well as sound business judgment and communication skills.
- Designs and evaluate the results of controlled experiments to optimize elements of our offering; advise others with respect to their experimental designs.
- Play a leadership role in areas such as:
- Specifying improvements to our Hadoop/HDFS based analytical environment
- Training the Data Science and Analytics teams, and other adequately-prepared power users elsewhere in the company.
- Regularly attend key initiative standups, proactively advising on opportunities to apply and the best approach to apply underlying empirical algorithms developed by your team.
- Develop and support StubHub’s relationship with UC Berkeley’s Data Science Industry Alliance Program (Department of Statistics).
- Authoritative quantitative analysis skills, particularly in machine learning, multivariate statistical modeling, and data mining.
- Strong communication skills and experience distilling and presenting complex quantitative analysis into action-oriented recommendations.
- Experience designing and evaluating the outcomes of complex controlled experiments.
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills, with a strong emphasis on teamwork, initiative and integrity.
- Passion around live sports and the live entertainment industry is preferred.
- Ideally a PhD in Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, Economics, Computer Science or equivalent quantitative field from renown school.
- Over 5 years personally developing statistical and/or machine learned models and algorithms based on data generated by consumer behavior.
- More than 2 years people management or project lead experience.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
Not ready to apply yet? Email this job to yourself