Back End DeveloperAmsterdam, North Holland Requisition Number R0020748 Subsidiary Marktplaats
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Your growth will involve our highly-performant and high-traffic systems. During peak hours, our site's per-second throughput is OVER 1000 searches (which makes us the second most-used search engine in NL), 25K images and 4GB of data; Marktplaats handles over 1 million unique visitors, 350K new advertisements and 155K transactions daily. On an average month, we get 140 million visits, which translates into 2.5 billion page views. But our users demand more, so we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Consul, Node.js, React, Swift and Play
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eBay Classifieds Group in trending topics like DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on one of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands
The person we are looking for has extensive experience in on-line or related areas, with at least 6+ years of full-time employment. We expect the right person to be an expert in software engineering and have good knowledge of what it means to work with large and/or distributed systems. We also believe that to be a well-rounded developer, one needs experience with more than just one programming language. Furthermore, we need someone who lives and breathes Agile development, can focus on delivering, and wants to take a leading role in improving how we work.
What we expect from you:
- Java and Scala development
- Some exposure to mobile application development (iOS/Android/HTML5)
- Unix / Linux
- Test driven development
- Agile methodologies
- Affinity for e-Commerce
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Building great products
- Native mobile application development (iOS/Android/Windows)
- Knowledge of alternative languages like Python
- Processing big data
Preferably you have a degree in Computer Sciences or comparable topic.
Background checks are part of the hiring process.
Acquisition is not appreciated.
View our accessibility infoR0020748
Not ready to apply yet? Email this job to yourself
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.