Director Software EngineeringAmsterdam, Netherlands Requisition Number R0026478 Subsidiary eBay Classifieds Group
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of. eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds, with 12 brands that offer services in more than 1,000 cities around the world. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Our central product and tech organization services all our markets by providing key capabilities & services. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our environment.
As Director of Engineering, you will ensure your teams will build high quality, globally scalable services. As part of our central product and technology team, you will participate in designing our long term technology strategy and will manage teams executing core parts of it.
You will have the opportunity of working directly with product and technology leaders in our Amsterdam headquarters as well as international counterparts. Your role is to undertake day-to-day management of the delivery of centralized data services and products.
Your teams consist of highly talented engineers, architects and scientists. You will provide technical and product leadership on tech/engineering enablers to local business to enhance their local product delivery capabilities
- Articulate and communicate towards the team’s development plans and capabilities, R&D expenditures, product status and overall goals as the company moves forward in its strategy.
- Lead the intellectual process of researching and analyzing new technologies, gathering and synthesizing information and formulating insightful findings and conclusions.
- Responsible for cross organizational optimization, scalability and growth at a global level.
- Be a sounding board for ideas and a center of excellence for all matters relating to current and future technologies.
- Contribute to strategy for long-term platform stability and world-class architecture
- Establish strategies around internal vs. external technology investments.
- Effectively manage relationships with key stakeholders, liaise with counterparts (i.e. eBay Classifieds group, eBay Marketplaces) to leverage existing technology where relevant Technology Strategy.
- Evaluate the current technology landscape (technology stack, products, people, etc.) and recommend a forward-looking, short and long-term technology strategic vision and plan.
- Manage product innovation process within the Product groups that align to market strategies.
- Provide reliable technical assessments of potential mergers and acquisitions.
- Responsible for architecture design strategies to ensure a scalable/product design that meets the needs of the market.
- Establish an environment that stimulates innovation and creativity and maximizing customer experience.
- Create a culture of accountability, quality, agility and high performance that will foster the attraction, development and retention of outstanding product and technical talent.
- Build world-class R&D practices and execution excellence, spanning product specification, change management, software reviews and project management, documentation, product release procedures, portability across operating systems and software quality control.
- Participate in industry groups where there are opportunities to promote the company’s reputation and to capture valuable data.
- Position and prepare the technology organization for scalable growth – architecture, development, infrastructure, people, processes, roadmaps, etc.
- Proven track record of leading a development organization of a similar size or larger for an internet, communications or software company known for best in class products and digital transformation.
- Possess a blend of business and be technically savvy; have a big-picture vision as well as the drive and attention to detail that transforms strategy into action
- Demonstrated experience with engineering complexities coming with delivery at global scale. Examples include large data sets, distributed systems, security aspects, self-healing and auto-scaling.
- Deep affinity with various agile processes and cultivating the agile growth mindset.
- Always up to date with regards to advances in technology and can translate them into business opportunities.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience leading change management initiatives such as re-architecting, re-deployment and platform building.
- Proven track record for product delivery: entrepreneurial drive and a demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast paced environment.
- Experience in working with multiple design centers, consolidating resources and outsourcing technology development.
- Strong “people” skills with a proven record of team building as well as motivating and developing staff.
- Experience with mobile / multi-device development.
- Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers.
- Business or Science Degree with a technology background (prefer a technical role in past)
- Proven track record (7-10 years) with project/program management experience in the online space (preferably e-commerce)
- Experience working in global organization, with remote partners and stakeholders
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: