Category Manager - ElectricalsLondon, United Kingdom Requisition Number R0030054 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces, connecting millions of buyers and sellers every day. Our ambition is to be the place the world shops first, because we offer the best choice, most relevant shopping experiences and the most powerful selling platform. If it is happening anywhere in the world, it is happening on eBay .
eBay has been around since 1995 and has evolved tremendously over the past two decades. When we launched, we transformed commerce by introducing consumer selling, across the world. Fast forward to the present day and much has changed. Thesedays, 81% of items sold on the eBay platform are new (not second-hand) and two thirds of them (67%) ship for free.
We operate at scale. eBay attracts more than 160 million buyers worldwide and over 1 billion items are on sale, on eBay, right now. But we also believe that shopping is intensely personal. It’s an expression of who you are, what makes you, you.
As eBay has evolved, shopping behaviour has changed too. Today’s shoppers want a shopping experience that’s personalised, they’re ‘always on’, just like eBay. They move seamlessly across channels and devices, e.g.: browsing on mobile, buying online, collecting in store.
In contrast to other retail players, eBay thinks differently about range and choice, for example, if you want to buy an iPhone, you can choose to buy the latest model brand new; a device that’s new in box, but last generation’s model; a device that’s nearly new, refurbished or used.
This incredible choice is delivered by eBay’s diverse and vibrant community of sellers, made up of consumers and businesses - large and small. Ranging from some of the biggest brands in the world (including Dyson, Bang & Olufsen, Adidas) through to small businesses, grass roots entrepreneurs and consumer sellers. Around half a million businesses trade on eBay in Europe alone.
Perceptions of eBay lag behind this reality. Despite the tremendous changes over the past two decades, many shoppers still think of eBay as the ‘online auction house’ of old, when the eBay of today is much, much more. The challenge at the heart of this role is to build campaigns that shift perceptions of eBay, bringing them up-to-date, presenting an impactful, persuasive response to the question ‘why eBay?’
The Electricals team works across Appliances, Computing (laptops, desktops, smart tech etc.), Consumer electronics (Large screen TVs, Audio) and Entertainment ( Books, Film and Music). The Appliances category comprises of major domestic appliances like washing machines, fridge-freezers, ovens, floorcare like ironing and vacuuming and small domestic appliances like food processors and coffee machines. We use customer insight to define our categories trading strategy and work with brands, retailers and business sellers to bring the right product range and promotional activity on ebay.co.uk to provide the best selection at market leading prices for our customers.
As the Appliances category trading manager you will be part of the Electricals and Entertainment team. The category is fast paced and highly diverse. A high proportion of sales comes from distress purchases so it is essential that we are offering the most price competitive range in stock and available everyday. You will be working with major retailers, renowned brands as well as innovative small and medium business ebay sellers to generate sales by building promotional campaigns and sourcing innovative new products and technology.
As a manager in the trading team, you will be accountable for both the operational and commercial success of the brand and retailer portfolio and the wider category experience and retail standards.
You will be working cross functionally to influence the wider organisation and partners to ensure delivery of commercial targets and partnering with the Category Lead in developing the annual and quarterly commercial plans for the Appliances category.
It is essential you are a strong negotiator and have strong buying experience and category knowledge. Candidates will have experience within a brand led category and be able to demonstrate a customer focused approach. You will be skilled at securing top products availability and pricing and building market leading product ranges.
Key responsibilities :
- Lead and develop the operational relationship with allocated brands and retailers, within the portfolio and in line with the category strategy
- Target merchandise and use levers to get products on site to drive performance
- Develop expert understanding of merchants’ business operations and current strategy and utilise insight to identify opportunities for growth
- Proactive management of assigned accounts to identify and implement agreed scaling opportunities and resolve all operational issues through liaison with the support team.
- Partner with trading lead to develop annual strategy and quarterly commercial plan
- Identify and source relevant and market leading inventory to support execution of strategy
- End to end ownership of seller plan to support the delivery of the Appliances strategy
- Pro-active with can-do attitude
- Excellent problem-solver
- Strong at managing different stakeholders
- Excellent communicator and influence
- Strong in terms of change management skills
- Able to work individually as well as part of a team
Industry knowledge and experience
- Proven experience in the appliances, electronics or entertainment sectors in retail industry, ideally ecommerce
- Proven experience of exceptional sales/budget performance within a B2C or B2B environment (preferably retail or ecommerce)
- Experience working with retailers and/or brands in a category management or buyer capacity
- Skilled at managing peak trading periods
- Rigorous management and use of client data to drive business results and sales outcomes
- Track record of building effective trading relationships with clients/suppliers/brands to drive exceptional advocacy and a joint focus on commercial outcomes
- Outstanding negotiation skills to source critical inventory and establish joint commercial targets
- Proficiency in up selling and cross selling for the mutual benefit of the retailer and the client
- Strong analytical skills; can calculate, manage and monitor KPIs
- Advanced IT skills (including Excel) and the ability to learn new systems quickly
- High standards of accuracy and excellent attention to detail
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: