AGC Payments AmericasSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0028013 Subsidiary eBay
The role will be to provide strategic vision, counseling and hands-on execution at scale of our plans to build out full payments functionality in support of our Marketplaces. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about building and innovating with an intense focus on the customer experience. S/he will have been part of building payments functionality. S/he will work in one of the e-commerce world's premier in-house Legal Departments as a leader on one of eBay’s most significant strategic moves in the last few years. S/he must lead in a practical, pragmatic way on a diverse range of cutting-edge legal issues in the payments space.
This Role’s primary accountabilities include:
- Working closely with the Payments, Billing and Risk business unit, product and tech and functional organizations and acting as a real-time legal advisor to understand their needs and help to find creative solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Working with business and functional stakeholders to understand, structure, draft, negotiate and close commercial agreements with external partners.
- Reviewing payments product structure, flows and marketing to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Draft disclosures, terms of service and other user-facing language for payments product launches and updates.
- Identifying legal ramifications of expanding eBay’s operating model with respect to payments products.
- Independently coordinating with functional stakeholders, including the Global Payments and Billing organization, Product, Tax, Finance, AML Compliance, Regional Legal Teams, Privacy, Information Security, Litigation, IP, Corporate, and other internal teams as needed.
- Working with legal, business and other functional stakeholders in other regions to develop and execute on a regulatory and licensing strategy with respect to certain payments products in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advise on the compliance with various state and federal payments regulatory requirements in the US, Canada and LatAm and support the handling of the relationships with those regulators.
- Guide on payments entity structure within eBay, including entity set-up and coordination with stakeholders to create a compliant business structure for a global marketplace with cross-border transactions.
- Build, lead and motivate a world-class team of payments legal and licensing professionals.
- Coordinate with regional counsel for EU and APAC to ensure consistency in our payments global roll-out strategy.
Candidates must have:
- JD or equivalent from an ABA accredited law school
- Bar membership in at least one State
- At least 14+ years of relevant legal experience, at a global company of scale in fintech, the payments organization of a large marketplaces/platform company and/or achieving similar strategic outcomes for a payments organization
- Understanding of legal principles applicable to payments, including the payments ecosystem (e.g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory and licensing strategy and execution (e.g., stored value, money transmission and escrow licensing and compliance obligations, escheatment) and consumer protection laws
- Strong business acumen and, in particular, well versed and articulate in connection with trends and key players in the payments and e-commerce sectors
- The ability to build strong relationships quickly and interact with junior to senior business leaders with ease
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, a fast-paced culture, and a practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong judgment and project management skills and someone who’s always thinking about better ways of doing things
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: