Head of Technology Biz Ops, CS TechSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0029855 Subsidiary eBay
We are looking for a seasoned technology leader to join our Customer Service Technology team, who will lead the efforts focused strategic and tactical operations for eBay’s global customer service technology. The CS Technology team is not your 'traditional' IT team that focuses on simply purchasing off the shelf solutions and stitching them together. We are on a transformation journey to evolve into a true customer focused engineering organization where we put customer experience first, create highly leveraged and loved platforms with an emphasis on operational excellence such as ensuring our platforms and services are scalable, rigorous and reliable. Where we choose to continue with packaged software we will invent our way around their limitations such as poor UI, scale or feature limitations.
We truly believe that great design and efficient processes have the ability to engage and inspire customers and end users. We strive to rethink and redefine how users interact with our products, tools and experiences. We value precision coupled with a “get things done” mindset, and look for proven skills over big egos. If you are obsessed with the customer experience, attacking complex processes, and defining amazing customer focused solutions, this is the team for you!
This position will work to ensure that we operate in the most efficient and effective manner. This leader will be responsible for driving Strategic Planning, Budgeting, Quarterly Business Review Orchestration, Communications and other Chief of Staff duties. This person will be a key leader, partnering and influencing CS Technology stakeholders to ensure the effective operation and advancement of the organization’s technology strategy and will report directly to the VP of CS Technology. This leader will oversee a global team of 30+ technology professionals responsible for resource management, account management, vendor management and incident management.
We are looking for a visionary leader who can define and refine the operating mechanisms of the team. Never comfortable with the status quo, he/she constantly pushes the boundaries, takes risks, and has the mental agility to help shape the future.
A key commitment of the CS Technology organization is building a transformational eBay Service experience. This leader will be instrumental in driving customer-centric thinking and best practices into the Strategy, Resource Management, Budgeting and Day to Day Operations of CS Tech.
The leader will be a passionate advocate for effective and efficient operations and will define innovative solutions that enable CS Tech to deliver a great customer and employee experience. He/she is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a bent for getting things done. He/she can think big while maintaining an obsessive attention to detail and intense focus on operations.
Visionary / Innovator
He/she should be a creative, innovative, and curious leader who has a passion for technology, commerce and customer service. We need a strategic thinker who enjoys challenging organizations to fulfill their potential and deliver for customers.
The ideal candidate will have previously led Technology Operations teams responsible for Customer Service. They will have experience defining solutions that drive innovation, while establishing operational frameworks and processes that will scale. A focus on operational efficiency is critical to success. This leader will work closely with domain leads to define CS Tech process and experiences that will lead the industry.
Equally important is proven general management skills and the ability to build relationships and influence across the organization at all levels. This person will be responsible for developing the right communications and processes, talent, and organization structure to achieve operational and organizational objectives.
- Drive the Strategy and planning processes for the CS Tech Portfolio of technology and initiatives
- Responsibility for the Organization’s annual budget, partnering with Corporate Finance to ensure that spending is aligned properly with business priorities and that spending is accurate each quarter.
- Provide program management support for various programs and projects going through various stages of the pipeline, including scoping and resource management.
- Deliver Results. Drive decisions to and lead your team to ensure programs stay on schedule and launch. Obsess over data and results. Identify how to constantly define and measure success.
- Think strategically, execute tactically. Have the ability to work at a strategic level with senior leaders and the will and want to roll up your sleeves and work tactically with individuals on your team.
- Be proactive. Identify and recommend creative ideas to improve business operations
- Support the operating activities of the CS Tech - preparation for meetings (QBRs, Ops reviews, etc.), staff meeting cadence and preparation, etc.
- You are able to manage difficult conversations and own the hard calls. Being responsible for the success of a project even when you don’t oversee all the pieces. You are successful by relying on your own expertise, trusting in others to deliver on theirs, and through deep collaboration.
- Drive communications plan for CS Tech intiatives and accomplishments, coordinating with Corporate Communications Team.
- External Vendor management including evaluation, contract review, risk assessment and monitoring and navigating the procurement process
- Process Management and monitoring of external resources and staff augmentation model
- Daily Operations and monitoring of CS Tech Systems
- Incident Management to include resolution and root cause identification and eliminiation
- Management of Account Creation and Administration across Contact Center Tools including license management and monitoring
- Attention to Detail. You will define the strategic direction, while empowering your team to make daily decisions. See the link between the granular details and big picture. Obsess over solutions and details to achieve simplicity and stability.
- Inspire passion. Infuse your team with excitement and enthusiasm for creating high-fidelity work and having fun as they make it happen.
- Drive Collaboration. Create a culture of collaboration and promote deep partnership between product management, design, engineering and operations to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Lead from the Front. Create a performance driven culture, while providing support, mentorship and guidance to your team.
- Chief of staff duties
Job Requirements & Qualifications
- 10+ years of Technology Operations experience in highly dynamic and distributed customer service environment delivering customer service for internet enabled businesses
- 10+ years in management roles with direct reports and multiple parallel projects
- Understanding of customer transactions and communication, operational work flows, internet technologies, as well as development methodology for a complex multi-business environment
- Excellent communication skills (e.g., ability to make the complex seem simple), program management capabilities, and operational excellence.
- Ability to shift from developing and communicating a strategy to executing in a cross-functional, matrixed organization
- Ability to orchestrate across teams, both yours and others’, to build and execute complex business plans and strategies
- Thought leader who inspires those around he/she to challenge the status quo.
- Well-honed influencing skills; ability to negotiate and gain consensus between organizations where competing priorities exist
- Curious and creative, able to push boundaries, ask “why?” and “why not?”, and is tenacious with problem-solving
Experience using agile methodologies to deliver products and technologies is a huge plus
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: