MTS1 Software Engineer, Backend
San Jose, California
Do you want to be part of the team that builds and operates a world-class search engine that serves hundreds of millions of queries a day? Do you thrive on developing efficient data retrieval algorithms that process Gigabytes of data in milliseconds? Do you want to be part of team that owns eBay's largest deployed application of machine learning, tens of thousands of servers, billion unique listings, billions of backend queries a day, highly available (99.999%) and performant system?
We are passionate about building the best search platform for the world’s largest online marketplace and are looking for top-notch software engineers to join the eBay Search Backend team.
- Responsibilities include: Design and implement systems compatible with existing Search Infrastructure within eBay. Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including business functionality and database access.Work with other engineers, managers, Product Management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles. Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes. Must be able to independently design code and test major features, as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex changes. Identify technical areas for improvement and make detailed business cases for improvements or new areas of opportunities. Develop industry and product technical expertise.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or related discipline with experience in the areas of machine learning, data mining, information retrieval, and information extraction
- Hands-on experience in product development of proven algorithmic ideas and concepts in classification, text mining, and information retrieval technologies.
- Experience with large scale data-driven systems is highly desired.
- Experience in the areas of web data analysis, (web) information retrieval, document search and information extraction.
- Experience in object-oriented design methodology and application development in Java.
- Experience with data-mining technologies (Classification, Clustering and other algorithms)
- Strong Software development skills (Java, J2EE, Scala, R, Perl, Web Services etc.). Expertise in Java preferred.
- Good working knowledge of database schema design, performance tuning & SQL. Good exposure to NOSQL DB like MongoDB.
- Experience in using Hadoop for development is desirable.
- 6 years’ experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant applications in Windows and Linux environments.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years