Software Engineer, Back End
San Jose, California
Come work for a company that changes millions of users lives around the globe every day. You will work on large-scale ecommerce enterprise functions. Your work will involve a platform that handles millions of transactions per day seamlessly. You can be part of a team that has impact on a system that makes transactions on an extraordinary scale and moves money regardless of country and currency? If you want to be a part of such a product development team and a company, then here is your chance to join such a team.
eBay Checkout Experience team is seeking a highly motivated individual to join as a member of technical staff. This position will require the candidate to lead our Java efforts and work directly with our business partners to research, develop and deploying next generation web applications on multiple technologies for high volume transaction environments. The candidate is encouraged to be effective as an individual contributor, teammate, and a champion for results and incremental improvement. In addition to this, the candidate will be encouraged to have an excellent grasp of crafting and implementing frameworks and architectures based on internal and external standards
- Design and deliver highly scalable multi-tiered distributed software applications
- Leading teams of software engineers on projects on and off-shore
- Work with other Engineers, Managers, Product management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and alignment to development goals and principles
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementations, and roll out applications with multi-functional impact
- Lead product initiatives and recommend improvements
- Develop and support projects throughout all phases of the development life cycle
- Work jointly with other team members to deliver complex applications
- Strong code quality focus including design reviews, code reviews, unit testing and continuous integration.
- Performing analysis and fine tuning of page performance and reliability
- Mentor and guide developers in coding and design methodology and page performance
- Conceptualizing, coding, deploying, and iterating on next generation prototypes
- Flexible approach to analyzing technical issues and clearly communicating recommendations/solutions
- Support site rollouts and available for on-call duties to resolve site issues
- Proficient in waterfall and agile development methodologies
- Technical degree or equivalent related work experience
- Experience in software development utilizing Java, Oracle DB, NoSQL.
- Ability to think out of the box in solving real world problems.
- A portfolio or work samples demonstrating coding skills (e.g links to Github repository from open source contributions).
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Degree in computer science/engineering or equivalent professional experience.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years