Software Engineer, MTS 1
San Jose, California
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re passionate about joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Do you want to be part of the team that builds and operates a world-class search engine that serves billions of queries a day? Do you thrive on developing efficiently coded data retrieval algorithms that process Gigabytes of data in milliseconds? Do you want to be part of a small, highly motivated team that owns tens of thousands of servers, billions unique listings and tens of billions of backend queries a day, and provides high availability (99.999%) and performance?
We are passionate about building the best search platform for the world’s largest online marketplace and are looking for top-notch modern C++ software engineers to join the eBay Search Backend team. Are you passionate about search domain & system of hyper scale with command and deep understanding on C++ then this job for you.
- Define, design and implement complex high-performance low-latency software applications in the search/information retrieval domain using modern C++ on a hyper scale high core count Linux platform.
- Be driven by quality, designing and writing code that is correct by default.
- Work with multiple platforms and compilers to flush out defects before release.
- Understand advanced programming techniques for multi-threading and memory allocation.
- Communicate and collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and other teams to develop strategic and tactical solutions in the search domain.
- Lead and estimate engineering effort, plan implementations, and rollout for complex search applications with implications to cross-functional teams.
- Be able to independently design, code and test major features, as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex applications.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other team members.
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes for complex infrastructure design.
- Work with other engineers, managers, product management, QA, and other teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes.
- Provide on-call out of office hour’s support to operations on a rotating schedule.
- Understanding of GPU programming, Machine Learning, and/or Deep Learning is a plus.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem-solver 10
- Quick-thinking 9
- Creative 8
- Productive 7
- Courageous 6
- Team Player 5
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years