Sr. Hardware Reliability EngineerSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0028047 Subsidiary eBay
Sr. Hardware Reliability Engineer
At eBay, we are starting a new chapter in our iconic internet history of being the largest online marketplace in the world. We have more than a billion listings at any point in time, with 80% selling as new items, in over 400 markets around the world. The collection of services runs on a significant server and storage infrastructure, and the hardware engineering team is chartered to drive the reliability, efficiency and performance of this layer.
We are looking for a talented Engineer responsible for driving innovation in how we design, monitor and remediatie issues with ebays’s server fleets of over 100,000 servers. This person will work closely with external server & commodity vendors, while also staying aligned with internal ebay platform teams.
Role: Sr. Hardware Reliability Engineer
- Uses Innovation in hardware engineering excellence to improve server reliability while, reducing the duration it take for problem determination and remediation.
- Will use your organizational and leadership skills for coordinating internal ebay Hardware Engineering, Data Center, Networking and Software Platform Engineering teams to work together to triage and resolve large scale server issues.
- Lead ebay’s hardware engineering interactions with external server, commodity and software vendors to troubleshoot and remediate complex L2/L3 server issues while creating future requirements to prevent quality issues from reoccurring.
- Provide OS & firmware expertise to internal ebay provisioning platform teams to enable the successful release of next generation ebay server products into the eBay production environment.
- Design, implement and oversee various world class hardware engineering labs that are used to experiment and qualify new disrupter and next generation server technology.
- Will be the Hardware Engineering lead working with internal software automation teams to create a world class server fleet health monitoring and remediation platform for ebay.
- L2/L3 Engineering liaison between Hardware Engineering teams and L1 Data Center technicians to ensure training, open issues and future requirement are aligned & prioritized appropriately between the 2 teams.
- Engineer scripts and processes to enable new server products to be a part of ebay's automated regression framework that runs burn-in, performance , reliability and decommissioning testing of potential new server products.
- Track the initial and ongoing quality of server components while also publishing quarterly results to internal teams and to vendors at quarterly business reviews.
Desired skills and experience:
- At least 10 years of system and/or hardware engineering of server and storage systems, which includes 3-5 years in a scale out environment. Highly desired experience would include dealing with a large server fleet, including the automation of processes.
- Deep knowledge of CPU, servers, memory, disks such as BIOS, BMC and Linux. This knowledge could be best validated by previous work in the development of a hardware, driver or firmware component or project.
- Expertise in testing and debug of various aspects of server hardware and firmware.
- Familiar to network operation and engineering lab environment
- Working familiarity with some of the following area: storage subsystem hardware, networking systems, power supplies & distribution, mechanical / thermal testing.
- Working familiarity of Linux OS, hardware test utilities and shell and/or Python scripting.
- Proven technical and people leadership abilities with good interpersonal skills.
- Direct exposure to platforms for compute or storage services. Bonus: Performance testing of compute servers, storage subsystems or networking. Bonus: Exposure to statistical reliability testing of hardware systems and components.
- Operate engineering lab with strong networking knowledge
- BS EE or CS with continued formal or informal education. Position ideally will be based in San Jose, CA with a small amount of travel required.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: