Sr. Manager, Trust Policy ManagementSan Jose, California
Draper, Utah Requisition Number R0029427
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Improving buyers’ trust in the eBay marketplace is top priority for eBay Inc, and an important growth lever. eBay has introduced bold new programs and enforces policies focused on continuing to reduce the occurrence of “bad buying experiences,” and to increasing buyer confidence throughout the transaction. These policies are designed to help sellers be successful through clear expectations, simple experiences and quality support.
The focus of this role will be to help both business (B2C) and consumer (C2C) sellers deliver great buying experiences, avoid legal and regulatory risks and to limit the time and resources needed to be successful.
Large business (B2C) seller accounts have complex businesses with inventory management and fulfillment processes that are typically multi-channel with varied complexities like co-location or third party tools management. They operate at scale and are motivated by increasing their sales and decreasing their costs.
Small volume consumer or “C2C” sellers sell less frequently than business sellers and are often new to online selling. They operate at lower volume without the same resources, scale, or same incentives as professional sellers. Their reasons for selling on eBay include earning extra money, getting rid of items, and having fun.
The Sr. Manager, Items and Listings Policy Management will create and drive trust strategies that positively impact key business metrics around seller sentiment, policy compliance and cost reduction through the implementation of new policies, features and products. They will ensure the right tools, policies and controls are in place.
They will oversee the business and operational needs for several policies, including preventing Prohibited Items and Counterfeits, the safe and controlled sale of Restricted Items, and marketplace rules for Listings and Products management to ensure a competitive and level playing field that is fair for all sellers.
The Sr. Manager will partner closely with teams across the company including Regulatory, Legal, Compliance, Payments, and Governance, and they will work closely with regional and other business partners, including geographical business units, product management, product development, analytics, marketing, customer support, and finance. The manager will regularly interact with eBay buyers and sellers via conferences, research initiatives and one-on-one interactions.
The Sr. Manager will oversee a team of Policy Managers, Policy Operations Managers and Analysts, with a fundamental focus on developing talent and inspiring a team to deliver results.
The role reports into the Sr. Director of Trust. Based on candidate preference, the position will be based in our Salt Lake City, Utah location, but candidates in San Jose, California, will also be encouraged to apply. Regular domestic and occasional international business travel is required.
- Implement seller-facing policies and supporting content and materials
- Motivate and enable seller compliance from sellers who are not following policies, recognizing that sellers will inadvertently violate policies due to the complexity of selling the diverse types of items available for sale in the many geographies eBay operates
- Understand seller needs, motivations and wants – working to grow the best sellers, reduce bad experiences from lower-quality sellers and improve the overall quality of the experience they deliver to buyers
- Help to create appropriate designs and strategies around listing and selling, identifying and removing pain points in the seller experience that could lead to bad buyer experiences
- Make appropriate tradeoffs to balance progress towards business goals with program costs such as customer support staffing, product resources and financial budgets
- Partner with other team members, customer support operations and other business partners to ensure strategies are appropriately implemented with a focus on seller adoption and simplicity
- Analyze and make business decisions that consider the overall end to end customer experience, sellers’ business models, motivations and concerns with a drive toward simplicity for sellers
- 10 plus years experience, preferably in ecommerce, in the areas of policy, program management and/or strategy development
- Deep understanding of the ecommerce landscape and functional understanding of the eBay marketplace
- Analytic and strategy development skills coupled with excellent implementation skills and a track record of results
- A willingness to challenge existing approaches and ability to drive positive culture changes
- Practiced at solutions design with an ability to think holistically about the impact that any changes will have on both eBay’s buyers and sellers
- An affinity for and ability to connect with eBay sellers and buyers, and an appreciation for how programs may need to be tailored for them
- Ability to evangelize ideas, influence key partners and collaboration effectively, with experience leading cross-functional teams
- Exceptional communication skills – oral and written, including ability to deliver compelling presentations to large internal and external groups
- Ability to build credibility with executives and customers
- Outstanding personal initiative, a “can-do” attitude
- Highest degree of personal integrity
- BS/BA degree in related field required; Masters or MBA degree preferred
- Degrees in business, marketing, or psychology preferred
- Work experience in consulting, product management, strategy development, or analytics preferred
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: