Sr. Manager, Data ScienceAustin, Texas
San Jose, California Requisition Number R0035579
At eBay, you will be part of a purpose-driven community dedicated to building an ambitious and versatile work environment. In eBay Payments, you will be an integral member of a growing organization that encourages passion, courage, and inventiveness - crafting the future of global commerce and making an important, positive impact on millions of eBay sellers and shoppers around the world. If you are looking for a special place to take your Payments career to the next level, we want to talk with you.
Risk Management is at the core of Payments done well – and we are hiring curious, driven, and courageous experts to transform our business unit to enable eBay's next generation Payments strategy. Our focus is to ensure the integrity of our marketplace for buyers and sellers who transact with us every single day. The scope of our charter includes Risk Management Strategy, Policy, Decision Sciences, and Policy Operations.
We need a hardworking and proactive Sr. Manager of Data science to join our Decision Science team. Decision Science contains both data scientists and software engineers responsible building and implementing state of the art machine learning algorithms for fraud detection and risk assessment in support of Risk Management. The primary responsibility of this role is to lead a team of data scientist in algorithm development and strategy optimization inside of a high efficiency, low latency, big data environment.
Primary Job Responsibilities
The mission for this Sr. Manager is to effectively lead, mentor, and train a data science team as well as develop modeling roadmaps, and infrastructure requirements for effective quantitative payments risk management. This role will provide subject matter expertise for building models and automated decision strategies for vetting buyers, sellers and post vetting strategies targeting fraud and financial risk. Additionally, this Sr. Manager will work to identify efficiencies with enhanced policies and processes, enabling the business to continue to grow at a rapid rate.
- Supervise modelers who perform statistical data analysis and understanding, ensure data quality, and develop tracking and reporting systems to determine the efficiency of models, rules, and other risk initiatives and programs.
- Mine and analyze massive amount of unique internal and external data to gain deep business knowledge and insight on customer activity and usage behaviors and their relationships with fraud and credit risks and other types of behaviors.
- Design, develop, implement, execute, and monitor scoring models, expert rules and other types of decision analytics to detect fraud risk and credit risks by using expert-based methodologies, advanced statistical techniques, and machine learning algorithms, such as regressions, neural networks, and decision trees.
- Perform data-driven as well as expert-driven decision optimization to optimize risk decision strategies and rules for taking appropriate actions at each customer touch point and at each stage of customer lifecycle to achieve optimal balance between loss reduction, customer experience, revenue enablement, and cost of losses.
- Research and develop new methodologies and techniques to improve the overall effectiveness of decision analytics and decision management.
- Contributes significantly to and leads in subareas ideation, planning, and project execution in advancing analytic and technologic know-how’s in the area of responsibility.
- Participate with senior leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives for development of future analytic technologies and solutions. Shapes and/or champions new technical directions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in a quantitative field (engineering, math, statistics, physics) with 10+ years of experience, MS/PHD preferred
- 4+ years leading data science teams of 5+
- Passion for data science and continued education.
- Collaborates with peers across the broad organization on ideation and innovation. Provide technical knowledge and thought leadership to the broad analytic community
- Effectively communicates the technical vision and roadmap
- Expertise in machine learning, deployment of models in real time environments, and accompanying big data tools
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: