Sr. Design Research Lead (Manager)San Jose, California
San Francisco, California Requisition Number R0035932 Subsidiary eBay
Location: San Francisco or San Jose
About the team:
Human-centered insights and a deep understanding of people and culture are critical to how we do our best work. Our team of Design Researchers guide partners and teams through this research to discover, interpret, and communicate insights & opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process. Researchers at eBay help our teams use design as way of understanding people and culture while at the same time using what we learn to inspire and inform product and design.
We’re looking for a driven leader who is radically inspired by people, gathers great insights, and gives those insights to a design team crafting products and services. The ideal candidate loves working with peers and leaders to mine for insights that drive elegant solutions to tough problems. This people-leader is a talent-magnet and a pro at driving and encouraging user research teams. You will work within the Product group alongside Experience Design, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and other core groups to ensure the User Research team is optimized to develop key insights to drive good user experience. You will ensure that a hardworking group of User Researchers operate optimally in designing, planning and conducting user research across a spectrum of methodologies. This leader is a strong influencer and promotor within and outside the organization, as well as an external face of User Research representing eBay.
- Device and curate a mixed-methods approach to gathering both generative and evaluative feedback on designs and concepts. Methods may include: in-lab and field studies, online surveys, usability tests, card sorting, moderated and unmoderated remote testing, participatory design, experience mapping, heuristic evaluations, in-depth user interviews, as well as stakeholder interviews
- Lead a motivated and constantly learning team of User Researchers, providing guidance and mentorship along the way
- Manage budget, and ensuring a healthy bench of external vendors for specific needs
- Balance internal relationships with peers across the Org, from marketing, to Engineering and Customer Service
- Manage an efficient intake of work, execution and readout to ensure velocity and visibility across internal partners
- Monitor and ensure that insights are influential in final product and lead to always-improving user experience
- Proven people leader with experience in all aspects of managing teams
- 6+ years of experience in applied user researching setting
- Advanced Degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science or related field
- Consistent track record of building and curating a User Research program, employing a range of methodologies depending on need
- Practical experience in deploying qualitative and quantitative research methods throughout the product development life cycle from conceptualization to launch
- Ability to solve complex problems, unlocking people to do good work
- Strong communication skills, experienced influencer and advocate for User Research
- International and eCommerce experience a plus
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: