Principal System Platform EngineerSan Jose, California
Austin, Texas Requisition Number R0039688
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
If you are up to the challenges of building new and groundbreaking large scale on-prem hardware platform infrastructure used by millions of users around the globe every day and drive critical, meaningful & impactful changes to one of world's largest internet properties, then join us - eBay Hardware Platform Infrastructure team.
We are seeking hardworking, creative and passionate experienced System Platform Engineer in Principal role.
In this role, you will collaborate with multiple application teams, characterize workloads, develop performance metrics for private cloud and storage applications to optimize eBay next generation hyper-scale hardware platforms.
- Interacting with various multi-functional teams to develop software performance model, and guide new hardware platform development
- Collaborate with software teams to develop performance metrics to evaluate different workloads: search, compute, storage, database, AI in eBay production framework environment like kubernetes, micro-service, disaggregate storage, application specific accelerators and etc.
- Architecting new platform solutions to support high growth, scale and availability
- Reviewing system infrastructure, and proposing efficient scalable solutions
- Assist in sophisticated performance debug activities
- Documenting detailed technical architecture
- Generating performance projections for future systems
- 15+ years work experience, with BS/BA in Computer Science, M.S. or Ph.D are preferred
- Solid understanding of computer architecture and workload bottle necks: CPU, Memory, Storage, Network, FPGA accelerators, RDMA, NVMe-oF, Persistent memory
- Solid proven record in software infrastructure development (SaaS, IaaS) at large scale.
- Prior experience in ODM hardware development and optimization
- Prior experience in analyzing software applications in virtualized, containerized environments (Kubernetes, Docker,…)
- Prior system performance modeling is desired
- Experience with open source software stacks and database experience: Hadoop, NoSQL, Java, SPARK, MongoDB
- Experience with RESTFul application
- Good coding skills in some subset of (C, C++, System C, Python, shell, etc.)
- Strong communication and mentoring skills
- Teamwork, quick learner, able to adapt to changes, open to suggestions
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: